cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
durandal_x85
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Slow speed and disconnections.

I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've had this problem. Just over a week ago my connection started dropping repeatedly and my speed dropped too. Looks like lots of noise on the line again. Nothings changed about my setup since the last engineer was around. I was hoping it would resolve itself if I gave it time but the situation hasn't changed. Here's my router stats and test results. When the connection is working I normally get around 5-6Mbps downstream on Speedtest.net.

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 00:12:13
Downstream3,070 Kbps
Upstream447 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.8 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)48.7 dB / 26.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up)7.6 dBm / 2.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 509931
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1 / 712016
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)1 / 109989

Results from Speedtest.net:

Ping:55ms

Downstream: 0.66Mbps

Upstream: 0.11Mbps

Results from Speedtester.bt.com:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
    865 Kbps

0 Kbps    4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 865 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.71 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
    0 Kbps

0 Kbps    832 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Follow-Up Test Results from Speedtester.bt.com:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
    2.54 Mbps

0 Kbps    4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.54 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.71 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
    0 Kbps

0 Kbps    832 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.

We have identified that you have additional services enabled on you broadband line, please click continue to run advanced service tests.

Any help or advice is appreciated but I have a feeling that my course of action is to refer this to the mods, followed by an appointment with an engineer, followed by the same problem reoccuring a month or two from now.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Slow speed and disconnections.

is the short time connected due to a manual reset or router dropping connection?

are you connected to master or test socket?  do you have any other sockets in your home?

try quiet line test for noise  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone   if cordless then normal dull hum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
durandal_x85
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Sorry, forgot to post about that. The line is quiet and always has been. Something the engineers haven't been able to explain. I only have the one socket and last time the frontplate was replaced with one that has the filter built in. I've only reset the router once myself since this started. When it drops it normally reconnects straight away, but sometimes it can drop and reconnect about 10 times in a row and on occasion it stays off for about 20 minutes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

if you only have the filtered master then I cannot see the test socket helping.  you have a very large number of up errors for only 12min connected and if quiet line is ok then it does look like you need mod assistance

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
durandal_x85
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks. I've contacted the mods and just realised that there are two banks holidays this weekend so I guess I'm stuck with this for a little while longer. Those up errors may be what's contributed to my apparent zero upload speed on speedtester.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

hi no you may get contacted by them over the weekend normally 1 or 2 of them are around for emergencies
0 Ratings