Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnbs38
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Slow speeds at peak times

Hi 

My broadband speed is 6.7 Mb /s on 8M line in the early mornings GREAT

But it falls to less that 2MB in the evening. 

I have called the Customer Services three times,

1) on the first occasionan the person spend nearly two hours doing tests and seemed obsessed with asking me if I was connected with  wired or woireless connection and how many devices were connected.

The answer was the same as in the morning when it was 6.7M.

She forced me to disconnect everything and connect one machine with a cable.  IT MADE NOT ONE JOT OF DIFFERENCE

She then kept changing wireless channels as if this would make any difference.

Finally she gave up and said that it wuold be escalaetd and someone would call me in 48 hours. They didn't.

By the way I am a customer not a technician, why does it cost me two hours of my time because BT's system is poor?

2) I call after a few days and spent ages on the phone. She said that they had to run tests when it was slow. I told them they had done this on Sunday.

The person said that it had been clear so no one had called me, how and I meant to know this?.  Finally she arranged that a person from the next team would call me at 8pm on Thursday. I waited patiently no one called.

3) I called BT and was told you have to wait 48 hours. The person then wanted to start all over again and kept asking if my connection was wireless. I told him that a wireless connection worked fine early in the morning.

His implication was that the slow down was called between my router and laptop and that this varied with peak hours.

Nonsense, the problem is due to the speed into the house

My feeling is either

1) that my exchange does not have the capacity to deliver to all of the people in my area, in which case they should not be charging them all £20/month for 8M broadband

2) Or my connection is a bit faulty

How can I get past the call centre and get this fixed?

Steve

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Slow speeds at peak times

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

can you check your exchnage for problems  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cnbs38
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Here are the details. 

I am not connected to the master socket and there are other sockets in the house.

However I don't believe this is an issue as I get 6.7Mbs at quiet times so if this was the problem it would slow things all the time not just at peak hours.

The speed test shows 5.64 Mbs just now (12.35 pm) as it is off peak but it drops in the evening

Test Result

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

<script>// paintProgressAndMessageOnBar(100,"The test has successfully completed"); // </script>

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 5.64 Mbps

0 Mbps7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.64 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

ADSL Line Status

Connection information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 2 days, 01:30:08
Downstream: 8,128 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 7.4 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 18.5 dB / 9.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.8 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 1
CRC Events (Down/Up): 472 / 25

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up): 486 / 5
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

stats look good with max connection speed for adslmax and few errors for 2 days connected.  are you using wireless or wired?

was there anything for your exchange on the links I posted?

can you run btspeedtester diagnostic test tonight when problem exists and post results please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cnbs38
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I am using wireless but it makes no difference it gives the same results.

Nothing about my exchange on links

I will put some peak time slow values up as a welll might not be tonight

Steve 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

you need to run btspeedtester with a wired connection as BT will not help if the test are done with a wireless connection.  Wireless connection susceptible to interference which may reduce the test results

0 Ratings