Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Slow upload speeds

Hi,

I had issues with my download speeds a few months ago and as a result got a new router which seemed to solve the issue.

Over the last few days my Internet is on but the upload speed appears to be dropping overnight as Internet is extremely slow when I first use it during the day. Resetting the connection ie. Disconnecting the adsl filter and reconnecting it, appears to fix the issue but it keeps coming back the next day and I need to disconnect the filter and reconnect it to fix it.

I was wondering if this may mean that i need a new adsl filter but just wondering if someone more experienced could advise?

Or could it mean something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Slow upload speeds

Which router are you using at the moment, and what is the upload and download connection rate showing?

Also the upload and download noise margin. How does it compare to the last values you posted?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

My router is a TP Link VR900.

Download speed is on average 2.5mbs. Upload speed usually 900kps, however it drops to 100-200kps overnight.

I haven't changed my connection set up since installing my new router. I've replaced the adsl filter just in case this may be the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@confusedgirl100 wrote:
My router is a TP Link VR900.

Download speed is on average 2.5mbs. Upload speed usually 900kps, however it drops to 100-200kps overnight.

I haven't changed my connection set up since installing my new router. I've replaced the adsl filter just in case this may be the issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What is the actual connection speed as shown on the router, that is the important figure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

post the connection stats from your tplink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi Keith/imjolly,

Sorry for the delay but I haven't had a chance to post the actual stats. 

Here's the most recent stats from my TP Link Router.

DSL UP Time: 1 day 8 hours 37 minutes

Upstream                    Downstream

Current rate                           126 kbps                    2265 kbps

Max rate                                  196 kbps                    4160 kbps

SNR margin                            12.4 db                        5.4 db

Line attenuation                   33.7 db                        57.5 db

Errors                                        55695 pkts                105081 pkts

After disconnecting the ADSL filter from the phone line extension and reconnecting it, the new stats are as follows:

DSL Up time: 0 days 1 hour 22 minutes

Upstream                    Downstream

Current rate                              937 kbps                    2268 kbps

Max rate                                    968 kbps                     3832 kbps

SNR margin                               6.2 db                           9.3 db

Line attenuation                     33.4 db                         57.5 db

Errors                                           55704 pkts                 105566 pkts

Any advice as to why the upstream/upload rate is dropping would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

The upstream rate has increased to what I would expect it to be, and the downstream rate is about right, but you are showing a lot of errors on the line, which could be due to a noisy phone line. In theory, you should be getting a connections speed nearer to the max data rate, but I suspect the errors are preventing that.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the quiet line test and there was no noise on the line.

Is there anything specific that could be causing the errors on the line?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@confusedgirl100 wrote:

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the quiet line test and there was no noise on the line.

Is there anything specific that could be causing the errors on the line?

Thanks in advance. 

Its probably just general high frequency noise causing the errors, there is not much you can do about it on such a long line.

Your actual speed is quite good, considering the distance you are from the exchange.

This is the result from the Kitz site, using your attenuation. The best download you could expect under ideal conditions, would be 3488Kbs.

Estimation of your maximum rate adaptive adsl speed

Downstream
Attenuation
dB Approx
Line Length
km

dslMAX (20CN) kbps IP Profile kbps

BT 21CN WBC
& adsl2+
kbps IP Profile kbps

adsl2+ (LLU) kbps Throughput kbps

As your upload speed is actually very good for your line length, then any noise pickup must be only affecting the download frequency band, which is common, as I expect there is a long section of overhead cable along the route.

I assume you only have a single phone socket, and no extensions?

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings