cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom3dwards
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Smart Hub 6A help with noise margin please

Apologies for any lack of technical understanding on my part, lately my router has been dropping connection now I’ve noticed the maximum data rate has dropped to 1056/4700 (assuming this is due to DLM from the connection drops). Now I’ve just checked the router stats again and I noticed the noise margin is 28.1dB/15dB. Can someone confirm if this could be causing the issues I’ve been having? I will also dig out the cheap landline to do a quiet line test in the meantime.

Cheers 

Tom

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Tom3dwards
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Smart Hub 6A help with noise margin please

Ok so I ran the quiet line test, there was a constant faint high pitched interference noise so I connected to the test socket and tried again, no noise at all. Put everything back to confirm I wasn’t imagining the noise to begin with and it was silent that time. Bit confused, I’ve plugged the micro filter back into the test socket and left it like that just incase and I‘ll see how the router gets on. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Possibly a bad connection between the front and back of the master socket, oxidisation can occur. Use a contact cleaner spray like Servisol Super 10.

The Smart Hub 6A is really intended for a superfast (VDSL) connection, not ADSL. It can be very unstable on an ADSL line unless the distance from the exchange is short, as it can loose connection if there is stray interference from other circuits.

The home hub 4 is optimised for ADSL and less likely to be upset by out of band signals.

Tom3dwards
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks! I’ve got some IPA cleaner I’ll give that a go 🙂 As for the hub I do have a Home Hub 5 if you think that might be better than the Smart Hub 6? My line attenuation is 43.5dB for reference
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

The HH5 is still intended for VDSL, so it still be the same as the Smart hub, and may have the same difficulty in establishing sync, in the presence of wide band noise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

just leave the hh6 connected to the filter in the test socket and check to see if that stops the drops in connection.  if the line is stable then DLM will start to reduce noise margin and increase your connection speed probably in stages until noise margin gets back to normal 6db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Tom3dwards
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, so far 12 hours with no disconnects. How long does it roughly take for DLM to recognise the line being stable and adjust the noise margin to suit? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

talking days not hours  probably 5/7 days stable should start to see improvement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings