Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnstod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Smart TV uses up all bandwidth even without wireless key

Hey guys,

My hub is a BThomeHub3

I recently bought a lg smart tv but unfortunately it eats all my bandwidth Smiley Sad

I started using my wifi connection but realized that it was all being eaten up by the tv, so over to access controls and block the mac address of the tv. Jobs a good one or so I thought, the tv still eats all the bandwidth.

So I reset the tv to factory defaults so that it would forget the wep key, then connected it through powerline adapters so that I could control when the tv connects to the internet.  This does disconnect the wired network and the tv shows that it is trying to connect but times out. YAY!!!!  Wait a minute my bandwidth is still being eaten.

As far as i can tell it is still connected via wireless and is still eating the bandwidth but the tv doesnt even know the password and the powerline has been unpluged.

I cannot see the connection on the router managment page (192.168.1.254).

Here are some of my speedtest.net results (Over wifi from my phone)

Without tv on 10.24mbps

With tv on 0.15mbps

My hub says i have 11.8mbps

I dont really want to install ddwrt but i will if this is the only choice bar a new router.

Guys please help.

Stod

P.S.

I am a lead networker so this is quite frustrating that i can mange 250 pc's but one god **bleep** tv beats my ass around for days.

*Edit*

I will be keeping an eye on this thread tonight so will be able to try anything out quite quickly

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Smart TV uses up all bandwidth even without wireless key

It sounds more like your TV is causing interference to the homehub wireless.  Try a wired speed test and see what you are getting. Also try moving the Homehub further away from the TV.

johnstod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Sadly its only a marginal improvement on my desktop (wired only) 0.18mbps

Also the TV is already at the oppposite end of the house (Have the hub upstairs)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Is the TV plugged into the same electrical socket or double socket as the homehub. If so try moving it.

johnstod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

no joy moving the. powerline adapter :(2

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

If everything is OK when the TV is switched off then it would appear to be a problem with the TV or any signal booster you may have fitted to the aerial of the TV. 

I would start off by carrying out a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This will give a clean sheet to start from.

To test the system I would remove the powerline adaptors from the equation by unplugging them. I would also disconnect anything else from the homehub except a wired computer. Then run a speed test with TV switched off. Then switch on TV and run another speed test. If it is still poor then it must be the TV.

If it has improved then reconnect your devices one at a time running a speed test after each one connects to see if there is any change. This and all other speed test should be wired.

It is a case of trial and error to find out which device is the problem if it is not the TV.

johnstod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Have done factory resets and that did not work 😞 also tried a reset on the tv at the same time as a second hub reset sadly no joy then either

Is there any way for me to block it totally for now until i can figure the problem out?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

If everything works OK until the TV is turned on even although it is not connected by Ethernet or wireless and if you have tried everything I have suggested then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas other. 

I don't understand how the speed is effected when your computer is wired to the router as this should eliminate any wireless interference that could be coming from the TV.

I'll be interested to hear how you solve it.   

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Its more likely that the TV is interfering with your ASDL connection and reducing the speed.

Many TVs, especially plasma ones, cause lots of radio interference, which upsets the broadband signal coming into the house.

It helps if you can make sure that the TV is nowhere near any of the phone wiring, or the home hub.

This interference will show up on the ADSL statistics screen of the home hub, as lots of CRC errors.

If you want more assistance with this prroblem, then I will move this thread to the ADSL speed and connections board.

johnstod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Hi Keith,

What errors would this show up as or owuld it be all crc errors?

Cheers

0 Ratings