Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy_p
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

So what is the contracted speed

Hi

I have another post entitled knotty problem that gives background.

So , Bt Broadband say my contracted rate is 1Mb/s  but when you run speedtest, it displays the acceptable range for my connection to be 4Mb/s - 21Mb/s

Who is correct?

Should I just move to Sky or Talk Talk who have LLU in my exchange?

Andy

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: So what is the contracted speed

You should have a letter at outset setting out you speed expected. The btspeedtester band you describe is quoted as almost standard and not specific to your connection

can you post stats from your router

the upgrade of your exchange to fibre will have no affect on your adsl connection as they are separate technologies

btspeedtester has been having problems recently with often slower than expected download speeds - there are other posts on the forum to this affect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andy_p
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

My broadband with BT goes way back. I had ISDN originally and I don't recall ever getting a minimum speed letter. My home hub , now gone the local recycling yard was the original! But I will post my stats next week when I get back home ... I did end up with a tap 3 exercise this a.m. which reported 0.0Mb/s download & 0.88 Mb/s upload!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

can yo u post the results of this checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

If you enter your phone number and post the results it will an idea of speeds you should expect. Remember delete number. 

http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

The OP is using a Billion router not a home hub
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

Eh, @john46, where? I do say "For a HH". If you don't have 1 you can ignore that bit but the 1st sentence stands in its own right.

andy_p
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Exchange WOOLHAMPTON is served by Cabinet 6

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date     Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date       Premise environmentStatus

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--2 to 6Available--------
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3Up to 0.52 to 6Available--------
ADSL MaxUp to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available--------
WBC Fixed Rate1 ----Available--------
Fixed Rate1 ----Available--------
ADSL Multicast------Available--------
Bridge TapU       
VRIN       
NTEFaceplateN       
Last Test Date17-05-2017     
0 Ratings
andy_p