Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JB1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 35

Speed below 1.0 Mbps

Go to solution
For the past week or so, my Internet has been below 1.0Mbps and is so frustrating. Nothing has changed at my home, so I can’t understand what has caused this. I have phoned BT and they asked me to try a few things such as connecting to the test socket, however this made no difference. Any help on this would be very much appreciated. My internet is normally around 15Mbps.
0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 35

Re: Speed below 1.0 Mbps

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Which BT home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
JB1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 35

Go to solution
Hi Keith,

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately I do not actually use a landline, so I am unable to check this.

The hub is BTHub4.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution

You will need to test for noise using a phone, as noise on your line will cause dropouts, also the drop in speed is probably due to a disconnection on one wire of your phone line which will mean you will not get dial tone.

The line test that BT do, cannot detect a disconnection close to your home.

Buy a cheap (less than £10) wired phone to run a check.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

JB1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 35

Go to solution
I will get a phone tomorrow and try the test as you suggested. Once I have completed this I will let you know what the results are.

Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution

Hi @JB1991 

Come back on today and let us know how you get on when you've connected the phone Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
JB1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 35

Go to solution
Good Morning Guys,

I just carried out the test and there was a dial tone. When I selected option 2 there was no noise and when I checked the number that was also correct. Now I am lost in terms of what this could be?

Edit: just checked the speed again and it’s even slower now at 0.5Mbps.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution

Can you please display the connection information.

Router Stats
The information contained within your router management pages can really help others diagnose technical issues. To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

If using a BT Home Hub 4 or 5 navigate to 'Troubleshooting' then to 'Logs'. You will then find two lines which will state 'DSL noise margin' and 'DSL line rate', copy this info and include this in your post.

Run a Speed test and post the results
Visit BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test pop your telephone number in and run the test. Once the initial test completes you will see an option at the bottom of the screen for 'Further Diagnostics' click this to run the full test.  Once the result is displayed, copy this into your post.

0 Ratings
JB1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution
Hi Keith,

See requested information below:
6. Data Rate: 888 / 575
7. Maximum Data Rate: 888 / 13328
8. Noise Margin: 15.1 / 34.6
9. Line Attenuation: 13.3 / 23.5
10. Signal Attenuation: 13.7 / 27.1

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
0.08 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.08 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.51 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0.66 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.66Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

This test was not conclusive.
Please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution

Have you been resetting or disconnecting your home hub, as DLM have reduced your connection speed because it thinks you have a line fault?

See

Changes in your connection speed are automatically managed by the exchange equipment, using a process called
Dynamic Line Management (DLM)

Its purpose it to give you the best speed possible, without introducing a lot of errors back into the BT network.
These errors impact on other users, and can slow their connection down, as your data packets have to keep being resent.

This is a continuous process, but certain things can cause it to make drastic changes to your connection speed.

These can include the following:-

You could have also been recently moved from ADSL max to ADSL2+, this would mean that the line
would have to re-train again, and must be left undisturbed  for at least 10 days.

If you keep restarting or disconnecting your BT Home hub, then the exchange equipment will see this as a fault
condition, and reduce your connection speed, in an attempt to stabilise your line.

You have recently had a fault on your line which has just been fixed.

Sometimes a single interruption to your line can cause this too, especially if it generates a large error burst.

The effect is that you get placed in a low banded speed profile, and you will notice that your downstream margin
is high, usually over 15dB.

The lower the banded speed profile, the quicker it will recover, but it could take up to a month before the full
speed is recovered.

If you want your speed to recover, then these are the steps you need to take.

DO NOT restart or disconnect the power to your BT Home Hub.

DO NOT disconnect your BT Home hub from your phone line.

Leave everything alone for at least 10 days, so that the exchange can record a stable connection.
During this time, the exchange may drop the connection, and re-establish a faster connection.

If you use the BT Speedtester, then do not restart the BT Home Hub, even if it tells you to.

If after 10 days your speed does not increase, then please return to your forum post
showing  that you have 10 days of connection time, then the problem can be escalated.

You can calculate your final speed by using this website.

Maximum speed calculator

0 Ratings