cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Speed degradation

Hi,

I have recently seen my ADSL Broadband speed drop from a steady 5.5 - 6 Mbps to around 1.5 - 1.9 Mbps.

I have a homehub4 (firmware updated on 09/07/16).

I have done some fairly comprehensive testing including.

1. Renewing/changing microfilters. (no difference)

2. changing adsl cable from filter to hub. (no difference)

3. Connecting hub directly to master test socket with no wireless devices connected (speed still low).

4. Tested speed whilst connected to master test socket using LAN cable to gigabit ethernet port on 16GB RAM laptop. (also checked using different LAN ports and cables) - still slow

5. And yes, rebooted including the 30 second wait.

Now I appreciate that my minimum gauranteed speed is 1.5 Mbps but why after a year of reasonable speed has it dropped 70%?

Here are my stats from the hub helpdesk:

stats.jpg

Can someone explain why my speeds are low and what can be done about it?.

I did have a case open with BT which initially said they found a line fault, then when i tracked the case it said it was resolved?

Much appreciated

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Speed degradation

Its all the rebooting and disconnections which have caused the slowdown.

See this post for an explanation.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'll leave it be then and hopefully the speed will improve.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

all you attempts to improve your conenction have actully had the opposite affect and you are now in a banded profile  just maintain conenction and should start to release in 3/5 days if no drops/resets

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/broadband-terminology-guide/?supportarchive

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Shush41
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Hey

I have posted this on another thread but I had a similar prob where my speed had dropped to 0.2mb/sec even though I was guaranteed a mininmum of 3mb/sec.

I did all the troubleshooting as you did above.

In the end it turned out the speed prob was caused by me switching the hub on/off every day, causing the line to think there was a problem, so dropping the speed and then getting stuck at that horrendous slow speed.

The solution was that the openreach engineer came and did a HARD RESET on the phone line and all is well now.

BT do not tell you that hub needs to be on all the time in their starter info pack

Hope this helps

0 Ratings
Shush41
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

plse let me know of this solves your prob. Thx

0 Ratings