Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lucicerious
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Speed drop since upgrading from HH2 to HH3

Go to solution

Not sure if this is resultant of the hub or not, I was recently using a HH2 for which would lock up at least once every 2 days (average was once a day) so wanted something that didn't require me reseting the hub as this surely isn't supposed to happen. My dad went against my advice and got the HH3, since I've installed this the download and upload speeds have been severly affected. Based on the results I have logged in at speedtest.net  my last speed check results were

d/l - 9.06Mbs to 10.88Mbs

up/l - 0.92Mbs to 0.96Mbs

My new results since installing the HH3 2 days ago are (the lower figures are the results from today, the higher figures from when i first installed it)

d/l - 2.29Mbs to 3.18Mbs

up/l - 0.05Mbs to 0.62Mbs

There are currently 10 devices connected wirelessly on the DHCP table and 2 wired connections. I'm getting a homeplug kit to try and see if a wired connection makes a difference for the PS3 as this keeps getting DNS errors and getting kicked off from the HH3 every 10-20 minutes. I know from other posts that the HH3 strugles with multiple wireless devices but should the speed have been affected so badly compared to the HH2? Also my connections via the pc now show that the signal strength and link quality fluctuate by 30% where as on the HH2 they only fluctated by 5-7% on avg.

I'm thinking of going back tot he HH2 at the moment but if the results below can shed any light on it being something else I greatly appreciate the advice.

Thank you in advance,

Leon

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 12:13:58
Downstream:15.06 Mbps
Upstream:1.109 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.4 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):24.0 dB / 12.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.5 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):4429 / 46
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):28536 / 20
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):1141 / 10
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Speed drop since upgrading from HH2 to HH3

Go to solution
can you please run the BT Speedtest http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once the first test completes run the further diagnostics test and post back the results
0 Ratings
Lucicerious
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you for the quick reply.  Changes in setup from last test is that I'm now hardwired using gigabyte ethernet port via a laptop in the home. Where I connect via my desktop and ps3 is 2 floors up from where the router is situed.

BTW Test Speeds are:

Download - 13.60Mbs

Up/l - 0.90Mbs

Ping Latency - 30ms

Further diagnostic results

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 13.6 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.6 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 13.77 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.9 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.9Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

We have identified that you have additional services enabled on you broadband line, please click continue to run advanced service tests.

Also passed on video quality test

0 Ratings
Lucicerious
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

speedtest.net results whilst connected via ethernet are slightly faster to what i was getting wirelessly on the HH2

D/l - 13.6Mbs

up/l - 0.96Mbs

Hub status as it stands after reset for the BTW test

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:11:28
Downstream:15.24 Mbps
Upstream:1.113 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 6.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):24.0 dB / 12.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):20.4 dBm / 12.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):960 / 33
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):4782 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):77 / 1

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
you do not need to reset the hub to carry out the speed test and doing so can have adverse effect on your connection
your problem could be wireless interference you could download a small programme insidder and use it to select a clear wireless channel also wireless connections are never as good as a wired connection and with the range you are from the hub you are pushing it to its limits
Lucicerious
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you for your help, it still doesn't make it clearer to me though why the HH3 appears inferior in wireless connectivity range than the HH2. I'll see what the homeplug kit offers in terms of speed when connected to the hub and whether I still get intermitten connectivity issues.

Also on the BTW test, one of the points before taking the test were this

5. Reboot your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. Wait for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.

At least now I know what the potential max download speed is 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
item 5 on the speedtest relates only to infinity restarting the hub can affect the noise margin and can cause speed reductions

also your hub 2 could have been using a different wireless channel to the hub 3 and the one it is using is already congested that is why i suggested running insidder to check you are on a clear channel
jfsfoster
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

If you get a PLA then I would suggest the TP Link 500mpbs ones from Amazon. 

The BT supplied ones (ie Arcnet) are total **bleep**. I'm only to happy to sell them on the Amazon marketplace.

0 Ratings
Lucicerious
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks John, I used the software to look at the wireless traffic around me, it appears someone has a new talktalk router near me and have put it on channel 9, this was heavily contesting with my wireless activity. I've changed the router to a different channel and now the pc has a stable connection (i've not tried gaming with the ps3 on the connection again yet), but d/l speed is still less than half what it was.

I'll keep an eye on the speed over the next week and see if it improves over time.

0 Ratings
Lucicerious
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
oh I did some research already and went for some solwise 500av twin plugs as i needed the mains pass through, otherwise it would have meant using the plugs in a surge protected multi plug and from what I've read about them they don't work so well in that setup. Thanks for the advice though
0 Ratings