Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lobsterboy1
Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Speed has halved after changing from Sky to Bt

Go to solution
On the 22/3/16 I moved to BT from Sky for my broadband. I understand I am still in the first 10 days so my line is settling in, but my speed has dropped from 5.9 with sky to 2.9 with bt. I thought I would be getting a few disconnections as it tried to give me the fastest speed with a stable connection. But it has just stayed at 2.9 download and 0.4 upload. The connection time is over 3 days but I can't seem to find the noise margin figure in the home hub 4. Will the speed get better as I get nearer 10 days or should it be trying to get faster already?
0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: Speed has halved after changing from Sky to Bt

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 38

Go to solution

you are probably on adslmax now as your download speed is <8mb whereas you probably were on SKY LLU service which is same as BT adsl2/2+

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
lobsterboy1
Contributor
Message 4 of 38

Go to solution

Hi, These are the things you have asked for hopefully.

03:02:26, 24 Mar.( 91.950000) DSL noise margin: 23.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
03:02:26, 24 Mar.( 91.880000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 2976 Kbps downstream

telephone Number on Exchange FLOCKTON is served by Cabinet 1

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 4--3 to 5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4--3 to 5Available
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

There are no left in jumpers available on this line. This line is on a Market B Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1.99 Mbps

0 Mbps4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.99 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.62 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.27 Mbps

0 Mbps0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.27Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:3 days, 12:50:09
Downstream:2.906 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

Hope this helps. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 38

Go to solution

as I expected wholesale have put you on adslmax instead of adsl2.  see if mods can get you moved to adsl2 - they will post a contact us linlk here 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 5/7 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 38

Go to solution

Hi @lobsterboy1 and thanks for posting.

It does look like you're on ADSL but I'm sure I can get you moved over the 2+ circuit. Can you drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
lobsterboy1
Contributor
Message 7 of 38

Go to solution

Ok cheers, So do I just wait for a mod to put a link on this thread?

Sorry cross posted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 38

Go to solution

go to mods name and you should see the contact us link as I posted  just complete the email after clicking on link

0 Ratings
lobsterboy1
Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Go to solution
Hi, I have emailed the mod. So fingers crossed it should get sorted.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 38

Go to solution

@lobsterboy1

as long as you used the contact us link and didn't send PM