cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Speeds of 0.08mbits, no support, help!

so I have just checked and we do not have a test socket (our house was build in 1979 and I assume the socket is original) and looking at the BT guide, it says to not remove it:

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21507/~/how-to-use-your-test-socket-on-your-...

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

do you have any other sockets   is the socket which you use where the openreach line enters your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

Just to warn you that it isn't just BT. The longer story to this is that I was with BT until March 25th with no issues whatsoever. I then switched to Sky and the problems started, exactly as I am experiencing now. I contacted Sky and they were excellent. They talked me through all possible solutions and in the end they held their hands up and said "sorry, we don't know what it is", so I said to them that as I was within my cooling off period, I would cancel and go back to BT as I wasn't having these issues with them. Sky said they couldn't work out what the problem was as it all runs through the same exchange. I switched back to BT as of the 27th April and have the issue seems to have gotten worse.

I don't believe BT as a supplier is responsible for this issue, as Sky had exactly the same, however BT's response and customer service has been pretty terrible, whereas Sky were very responsive and helpful. I wish I hadn't switched back!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

thanks for that, I have called them twice, the last time being yesterday. I get through to someone who tries to open a new case, after I explain that I already have a case and run through the entire story, then they explain that if I already have a case open that I cannot get any help until it has been resolved and that they do not know when that will be, or what the issue is. I hope that helps you see how there can be no support, as people have tried calling.

Googling that phone number though has brought up the live chat which I couldn't find on their website, so I'm going to try that instead.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

Did Sky send out an openreach engineer at all as well to carry out checks for any external issues?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

Sky didn't send an engineer, just the router to us as this was at the peak of lockdown. They did tests at their end but acknowledged something was wrong.

Last time I contacted BT they said they couldn't send an engineer out yet and to contact them again later, so I'll give them another try today. This is the only socket coming into our house and there is some old wiring running a phone socket from it to the upstairs so I've disconnected it just in case.  I have just tried their online services and got this message, so I'll try the phone again...

James048_0-1589800897018.png

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

sorry but how have you disconnected the other socket?  if your mater socket is one with solid front face with just phone outlet did you disconnect from the master socket?  if so did you notice if there was an orange wire connected to terminal 2   main connections would be 2&5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

there was an adapter/splitter allowing two filters to be plugged in at once. I have removed the adapter and now they only thing plugged into the main socket is the filter for the router.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

In that case i'd definately try contacting them again, as much as they can't send an engineer to visit your house they should be able to get one to complete external checks if needed. Only reason I can see for it not progressing just now is if they've diagnosed an issue which requires an engineer to visit the house

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Just called them and got through to a someone very helpful. They said there was an issue with the previous fault report and the tracking associated with it so they have created a new one and ran some more diagnostics, talked me through the setup here, confirmed filters in place etc. and confirmed that there is something wrong on the line. They are now able to send me an engineer, which is good news! Booked in for next Tuesday.

Opinion of BT customer service has increased but it seems to be better to call during the day, calling at night gets a call centre based somewhere else with less knowledgeable staff.

0 Ratings