cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mabalzich
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Static on the line & intermittent internet drops (with video)

Hey all,

So in our household we've had this issue for a while now, we have static on the line non-stop, sometimes it's faint, but there nevertheless. Other times like in this video, you can clearly hear its pretty bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcfgj7SvBxo&t=00m07s

My mother seems to just deal with it, she uses the phone as always on speakerphone even with this crackling going on.

The internet seems to drop out when she starts dialing phone numbers, sometimes when calls come in. And the majority of the time when it is damp and has been raining outside the internet will drop, it will be off for a minute or two and come back on.

My father refuses to pay for an engineer to come out (hes the DIY person) but we've had this around 3 months now, some periods worse than others. I'm convinced it's an outdoor issue with a telephone pole that's looking worse for wear now after the harsh periods of weather we've been having. 

My mother has reported a fault to BT on numerous occasions regarding this, where they tested the line. All was fine according to the line test, although it clearly wasn't as the crackling was on the line when she phoned to report it. 

There was one time we were told an engineer was coming out, I waited in, I presumed he was coming to the house or to work on the outdoor telephone pole but neither occured. So I'm guessing he went to the junction box.

Anyway want to get some feedback here, I've told my parents now I'm prepared to pay whatever to get this fixed as it's impossible to do anything anymore.

Regards.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Static on the line & intermittent internet drops (with video)

have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

are you connected to test socket specially if you have extension sockets in other rooms.  this will eliminate any internal wiring from causing a problem.

try quiet line test  dial 17070 optiion 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone in test socket with filter  if cordless then dull hum normal   if you can still hear noise then you need to report a phone fault to 151

if your broadband is dropping everytime you make or receive a call that sounds like a high resistance fault and again need to be reported as a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

charges are only normally raised if the fault is after the test socket that is with any extension wiring or equipment connected to it
0 Ratings
Mabalzich
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Hey fellas,

Tried it with a corded phone in the openreach socket both with and without a filter. The line test, the crackling is still present.

Just out of curiosity these issues arose also when British Gas installed a smart meter, these don't cause interference do they? I hear they operate on a frequency that cause things like baby monitors to have pops / crackles etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

testsocket2.jpgthey may be the cause you really need to connect to the test socket to eliminate any internal wiring problems

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

if you think it's a problem try a portable radio tuned to 612MW and see if you hear inteference   http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mabalzich
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Well a brief update, had its stability for a while. But now we are having more frequent heavy downpour the connection is becoming unreliable again.

Connected to an FTP server in the space of 15 minutes the connection to the internet has timed out 4 times. I have it set-up to reconnect so checked the logs. 

So with this can be safely assume the issue is external?

0 Ratings
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Have you done the tests using the test socket? This is how you'd determine it's external.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

if you do quiet line test from test socket can you hear any noise hiss/crackle/static?  if so then you need to report a phone fault yo 151 od use link 

phone faults

0 Ratings