This is a weird one, my speed has been fluctuating from 4Mbs to 0.5Mbs and will sometimes will consistantly be slow.
Upon investigation on my noise margin, I dicovered something strange. My noise margin up is higher than my noise margin down. I assume I this is the cause of my problems, but I'm not sure how this could have happened.
I'll begin the process of leaving the router on for 3-5 days, but could someone explain what is going on here?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Sorry, I've been away with work from while now. However sadly my connection is still painfully slow, despite attempting to maintain a connection for 3-5 days:
In terms of repairing, if at all, the connection what else can I try?
Not currently, but I did purposfully conduct the '3-5' day connection on the test socket
Thank you for replying,
I used the test socket to conduct the tests. I tried four times and got an average of around 4 days of solid connection before either the router reset (I'm not sure why) or the router would be moved by a member of our family (in our home the test socket is an akward position and gives poor signal to devices downstairs, so we try and keep the router downstairs). If you would like I can try again. At the moment I hear no noise through the quiet line test.
*Edit: I should probably say that in our home the router is switched off every evening by my wife, supposedly to ensure the kids get to bed on time, I've tried to dissuade her from doing so but she isn't the person to back down easily. This is probably why we suffer so often from the SNR margin increases.
I'm now connected to the test socket and beggining the '3-5' day connection fix.
turning the hub off is the worse thing you can do as every disconnect is seen by the DLM as a fault and the first action is to increase the noise margin in an attempt to stabilise the connection
UPDATE: It's been around 3 days now, but no chznge yet. Ill keep you posted.