Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sswales
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Strathtay exchange moved to ADSL2+ overnight - connection profile messed up

Go to solution

I have been on the Strathtay exchange with ADSL Max for many years, operating fine for my long line using a 2wire BT2700HGV with a SNR margin of 6dB, non-interleaved. I noticed the phone line go off for a short time at 4pm, and also just after midnight and come back after a few minutes. On checking the router this morning I can see that it has connected to new ADSL2+ equipment on the exchange (hurrah!) but my connection profile is at the rather sub-optimal 15dB and interleaved. Could this please be poked from the BT end to reset it?

Example Before & After (stats from 2wire BT2700HGV):

TimeRateMax1Max2Max3Mgn1Mgn2AttnPwrCRCsFECsINPDLY RateMaxMgnAttnPwrCRCsFECs ModeVendorStateExit CodeEchoVCXORx GainINC Tones
2018/04/11 16:25:14 BST33603376337233726.29.060.919.330400.000.25 44865213.031.512.210719 G.DMT Annex ATI230/105IDLE_REQUEST6.3-5.334.50
2018/04/12 08:28:37 BST268825732589258915.015.161.517.5131.068.00 6516476.038.512.10223 G.DMT2+ Annex ABroadcom229/103N/A-20.3-1.234.50
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Strathtay exchange moved to ADSL2+ overnight - connection profile messed up

Go to solution

the DLM will more than likely reset again especially if just changed to adsl2 and if line stable then noise margin will drop automatically with speed increasing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
sswales
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Some movement on the DLM front at last.

Noise margin reduced from the initial 15dB to 10dB - this is good; router now syncs around 3650.

Downstream Rate Cap of 2272 imposed - this is bad; oh dear!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

if your conenction speed has dropped to 2272kbps and noise margin increase then you are in banded profile normally duw to constant drops in conencton.  until you can fin the cauyse of the drops and stabilise your conenction you will not get out banding

have you tried the test socket with a filter to see if that helps with stability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
sswales
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks, any connection drops will have been due to me resetting to see if the DLM had improved the noise margin back towards what I had before on ADSL Max.

Seems somewhat perverse of ADSL2+ DLM to simultaneously put the line into a banded profile because it has been 'bad' and to reduce the noise margin because it has been OK. Is there a magical period of time to allow for it to come out of banded profile?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

it normally would take 3/5 days stable conenction for banding to start to release probably in stages.  any resets will put you back to square one

sswales
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks. Will the DLM reset the connection at the exchange when it is ready to move?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

DLM resets the noise margin then that will give more speed until noise margin drops to normal 6db  on a very good line the noise margin may eventually go down to 3db which give a further increase in speed - just takes time and stable connection

sswales
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Apparently it capped at 2272kbps due to a couple of days of errors and hadn't released. OR engineer had reset profile (twice) but it was still capped; he rang through to sort it out and all is now good - sync at 3.8Mbps, noise margin 9dB, effectively uncapped.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@sswales Nice one that's great, I'm glad the engineer got you sorted.  Thanks for updating the thread Smiley Happy

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings