Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rockets
Contributor
Message 41 of 72

Re: Sudden drop BBand speed on contract extension date

Go to solution
Hi Neil,

Unfortunately, Broadband problems have returned.

Here’s my status summary for today’s events:

Fri 21 Sept 
Upon my return, spoke with Neil just after 1 pm today.
Agreed all was good at between 14 to 15+ Mbps (minor exception: it dropped down to 9 Mbps while we were speaking, but since that instance was measured from wireless and it went right back to 14+, we both agreed it was probably a wireless issue) and the overall broadband performance seemed back on track, all was good, so we agreed to close out the broadband Fault complaint.  
Everything seemed to be operating fine all afternoon and early evening.

(One Note:  While the system had been fully monitored/checked by Neil and was back to operating 14+Mbps downloads speeds, it is important to note that the Broadband was unused from 3:30 pm Monday 17Sept thru Thurs. 12:10am while I/the user was away. And late Friday was the first time I gave it an extensive workout, as I was at the hospital with relative for a good portion of Thursday.)

After being back and using the internet all of Friday...
Unfortunately, problems re-occurred at 8:56 pm,
at which time the Broadband suddenly came to a hault and remained disconnected for over an hour and a half.  I tried repeatedly to get broadband access, but no success.  Desperate to get some level of broadband connection, so I could contact relatives, I was left with no alternative but to unplug the router (this is the first I’ve done this during the past weeks of troubleshooting, as I didn’t want to disrupt any work in progress or digital management systems).
It finally came back after 2 hours down, but at a very degraded download speed of to 1.65 Mbps at 11:10 pm; 1.6 Mbps at 11:28 pm.
The broadband ...basically unusable for my purposes.

Might be only a guess on my part, but seems as if there is some max data saturation point reached between 8-9pm after all day use, whereby something triggers a cut off.  Previously the system seems to reset such that the download speed drops  to 8Mbps after 8 pm.  Tonight it dropped to further 1.6Mbps!

Disappointed (as I expect you are, too!) that we seem to be back to square one.
Appreciate any help in restoring usable broadband!

Many Thanks.

Here are Wan logs:

22:41:00, 21 Sep.( 111.260000) PPP LCP Receive Configuration Reject
22:40:59, 21 Sep.( 110.220000) PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
22:40:55, 21 Sep.( 106.030000) ETHoA is up -​ VPI: 0, VCI:35
22:40:55, 21 Sep.( 106.030000) DSL is up
22:40:53, 21 Sep.( 104.660000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
22:40:52, 21 Sep.( 103.750000) DSL line rate: 1175 Kbps upstream, 10837 Kbps downstream
22:39:44, 21 Sep.( 35.570000) WAN Auto-​sensing running.
01:00:14, 04 May.( 36.480000) WAN Auto-​sensing running.
01:00:14, 04 May.( 35.370000) WAN Auto-​sensing running.

12:48:14, 19 Sep.(395471.550000) DSL is up
12:48:12, 19 Sep.(395469.710000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
12:48:12, 19 Sep.(395468.790000) DSL line rate: 1167 Kbps upstream, 17960 Kbps downstream
12:44:12, 19 Sep.(395229.460000) DSL is down after 2819 minutes uptime
12:44:12, 19 Sep.(395229.460000) ETHoA is down after 2819 minutes uptime
12:44:12, 19 Sep.(395228.950000) PPPoA is down after 870 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN DSL -​ Up)]
12:44:07, 19 Sep.(395224.110000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rockets
Contributor
Message 42 of 72

Go to solution

Further update 12:15 am

Speed seems to be up to a steady 8-9 Mbps now.

Guess there must have been a hiccup that caused a rest to lower from 15 to 9 ☹️.

Disappointing...Thought we had it fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 72

Go to solution

@Rockets I'm so sorry. The SNR has increased up to 16db again which has resulted in the slower speed, I'll get this reported again. Have you noticed any problems with noise on the landline?

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 44 of 72

Go to solution

Neil,

Hadn’t tested noise line since problem first occurred.  Just phoned/rechecked noise line and yes! indeed there is noticeable intermittent noise.  Could this be the culprit?

I see the speed has gone back up to 14+. I assume you have reset it.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 45 of 72

Go to solution

Thanks for re-setting things earlier today, as I had mentioned, it was back to 14+ Mbps and it was nice while it lasted.

Update:

Here at 9pm Sat. Evening, I am going through the usual repeat of Broadband going down (always seems to be between 8-9pm); typically stays down/can’t use internet for approx. 1 to 1.5 hrs while it re-sets to the lower speed.  Guessing it will pop up in an hour to 8-9Mbps.

As we discussed on Friday, I assume this is the system re-setting itself, to accommodate noise ratio, resulting in a lower speed.

Just an update on the situation.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 72

Go to solution

@Rockets wrote:

Neil,

Hadn’t tested noise line since problem first occurred.  Just phoned/rechecked noise line and yes! indeed there is noticeable intermittent noise.  Could this be the culprit?

I see the speed has gone back up to 14+. I assume you have reset it.

Thank you.

I asked you earlier about quiet line test and you reported in message 19 no line noise so it must have appeared since then

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 47 of 72

Go to solution

@Rockets If it's intermittent noise it might not be affecting the connection all the time, however any noise on the line will be impacting on your broadband speed.

Do you still get noise on the phone line if your connected directly to the test socket? test socket.jpg

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 48 of 72

Go to solution

Neil,

I’ve tried both (with and without plate) just now and the line doesn’t seem to have any significant noise.

Broadband continues to be very sluggish since it reset itself to this slower speed at the weekend.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 72

Go to solution

quiet line test with corded phone in test socket should be silent with no noise whatsoever

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 50 of 72

Go to solution

@Rockets Thanks for trying that. I can see the connection is stable at the moment so I've made a few adjustments to try and get your speed back up. Hopefully you'll notice an improvement in the next few hours.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings