cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 72

Re: Sudden drop BBand speed on contract extension date

Go to solution

Hi @Rockets I called there but missed you, I've just tested the broadband speed and can see the router is syncing at 17.9Mb at the moment. How are you finding the connection since the engineer visit?

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 52 of 72

Go to solution

Hi Neil,

Have relative in hospital.
Back and forth visiting, thus a delay in some of my responses.
And it seems I missed a call at home today?

Summary:
Broadband operating fine “at the moment”, but seems unable to sustain good operation for more than 12 hours of use.
Almost like it gets saturated after about 12 hrs of good operation and use, then seems to reset itself to a permanent lower “half” speed.
Thus, suspicious it will drop off again.
This happened after engineer visit Friday — he did a thorough checkout and some re-wiring, departed at about 1pm saying “all checks made, now in good operating condition.”
 At midnight, it reset itself - out for an hour, then down to half speed for most of weekend (seems to be a repeat occurrence now).
Speed was restored Sunday, but Broadband disconnected and rest to half speed.
Speed seems restored now again Monday afternoon, but need to wait another 12+hours to ensure that it doesn’t repeat the cutoff and drop to half speed again.

Details of my Broadband status and BT activities over past 4 days are listed below.
This has been occurring now for one month (repeated cutoff, followed by drop in speed to half).  Prior to this, I had many many months/years of continuous good service and NOTHING was changed or upgraded.  In fact, I’ve used the same BT modem Hub4 supplied in 2014, even though I have been loyal to renewwith BT a number of times since 2014.

Latest weekend status:

Fri 28 Sep 
Action:
Engineer was here 8am-1pm Fri 28Sep. 
He checked and tested all connections throughout (inside and outside house), also checked the telephone pole and nearby BT unit (not sure what this is called).
In addition, he replaced wiring to the house. He did numerous wiring checks, checked all connections and wiring and was satisfied with results. Said all checked out good.
Result:
Download speeds were good at 15-16 Mbps all afternoon and evening

Sat 29 Sep
Midnight, very early Saturday morning, the Internet (once again!) slowed/cut off while watching BBC iPlayer. Broadband inoperable for about an hour.
1am Broadband returned, with a download speed of 7 Mbps.

Download speeds seemed to reset itself to between 7-8.5 Mbps all Saturday morning, afternoon, evening and next morning (Sunday).

Got a text from BT at 5:30 pm, Saturday Sep29
“your service should be back up and running, if your still having any problems, please reply to this message”

My reply at 7 pm Sat (After I returned fr Hospital),
“ Still problems. Broadband dropped to zero early am. Now only operating at half speed”

Sun 30 Sep
7 am-11 am download speeds remained between 7.5-8.5 Mbps

11:35 am, I Re-checked speed before running out the door to hospital,
15Mbps

Saw that I had gotten another BT text, but decided to reply when I returned back home (from hospital) to make sure it hadn’t dropped again.

BT text at 11:37 am:
“we would like to confirm services are working fine now and the fault is closed. If any problems....phone 0800800151 for assistance”

At 2 pm, got back home and speeds were good at 15 Mbps

At 3pm, I noticed internet not working.
At 3:28 pm download speed at 8.2 Mbps
Very Sluggish, sometimes freezing, all afternoon and evening, at best had between 6.5-8.5 Mbps download speeds

At 10:45 pm, 6.4 Mbps

At 10:49pm, My response to BT text:
“Broadband not working well. Speed degraded with periodic freezes”

Sun 30 Sep

7:50 am, download speed 8.8 Mbps

11:47 am, got BT text While at Hospital
.“We’ve checked our network and now nee access to your home to fix the problem.
Before we send an engineer...check your home setup (website inserted)
Don’t forget there’s a charge of £129.99 if the problem is found to be your home.
...please contact us after you’ve run the checks” (that the engineer already did on Friday!)

Upon returning from hospital,
At 4:11 pm, I checked download speeds - 14.9 Mbps

At 6:45, download speed is 15.1 Mbps

“If” we could get the BT digital management system to stop resetting to lower speed after after 12+ hours, it would be great!

Operates wonderfully, until the disconnect and reset occurs.
Wondering if there was a change at BT whereby BT H4’s are no longer compatible with BT digital management system?

Appreciate your help!
0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 53 of 72

Go to solution

Hi Neil,

A further update from my previous post (that detailed Broadband performance from  Fri am thru Monday 1 Oct 6:45 pm). 

Summary: Broadband operates great until 10:45 pm; then no broadband for approx. one hour, then Broadband returned with rates starting at 10 Mbps then dropping to 3 Mbps, then back to 8Mbps, as before.

Will update on status Tuesday morning.

Details:
At 9pm Oct 1, Download speeds were still very good = 15.2 Mbps
(watched sports video broadcasts for over 1.5 hours, no issues)

At 10:45 pm, suddenly noticed download speed slowing; unable to use internet, download speed drops below .2Mbps.

10:45-11:20 pm,  No broadband

11:22 pm - 0.12 Mbps
11:26 pm - 0.23 Mbps download 
11:30-11:44   No broadband

11:48 pm - 10.2 Mbps
11:56 pm -  8.8 Mbps
11:58 pm -  7.4 Mbps
12:10 pm - 4.8 Mbps
12:20 pm - 3.1 Mbps
12:30 pm - 8.0 Mbps
0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 54 of 72

Go to solution

Hi Neil,

Again, my thanks for all your help in resolving this matter.

Since the engineer changes on Friday,  the system’s remained up and running great - speeds are 16+Mbps.

I appreciate your time in restoring my broadband.

Best Regards

0 Ratings
Message 55 of 72

Go to solution

@Rockets No problem, I'm really glad that its finally sorted. Thanks for your patience as I appreciate this took longer than expected to resolve. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 56 of 72

Go to solution

rjs30

Ever since Aug 2018 BT’s reputation for terrific service has sadly deteriorated.

While the responder is correct, that BT had corrected my Aug/Sept issue of severely degraded performance rate.  The issue has now morphed into a lack of continuity of  service (expected after 5+ years of never having any dropouts).

That is, the Broadband drops out (to 0.1Mbps) for at least one hour every evening during my peak usage period, sometime between 6-11 pm...consistently every night.

interesting to note that 3 of my other friends living within the same London borough are having identical issues with BT.

Like me, they  had been delighted with their service until this past summer and are also experiencing dropouts.

0 Ratings
Rockets
Contributor
Message 57 of 72

Go to solution

Hi Neil,

Hope you are well.  Sadly I am back again.

Can we reopen my case?  Issue: Abrupt service interruption every evening for an hour or more between prime use period of 6pm-11:30pm.  Drops to an unusable 0.1Mbps.

Outside of this evening window, the performance is excellent (17-18Mbps) and I would like to retain this daytime performance...just need to get this to extend to evening hours.

I had hoped this would solve itself, but has been reliably dropping out for some time now (at least from December, but could have started while I was away in Novermber).

interesting discussions over the holidays - found that three friends (4 of us now) who live in different London locations (all within 1 mile radius) are experiencing very similar problem...BT Broadband drops.  We have all discuss frustrations and some have spent many, many hours on phone trying to resolve these issues.  Two of these friends have switched to fiber, but still having problems with service dropping out; have had engineers visits, but still unreliable/drops out.

Just wondering if BT is having capacity issues or trouble with managing data during these heavy traffic evening hours?...especially since the BT service used to be quite reliable before this past summer.   Is there some sort of digital management system that started in the summer that has caused the issue?

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 72

Go to solution

Hi @Rockets welcome back to the community, I'm good thanks for asking.  I'm really sorry to read you're having broadband troubles again, this sounds like a typical congestion issue with the SVLAN from which your broadband is provided especially if others in your area are experiencing the same problem.  

We don't hold on to your details so I'll send you a private message with info on how you can send in your details and we'll be happy to get a fault raised for you and find out whats going on. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 59 of 72

Go to solution

Hi @Rockets,

I am sorry to see the speeds are dropping between 6-11.30pm. It is a peak time but it shouldn't explain such a drastic drop. In @NeilO's message he mentioned that it could be a congestion issue. I checked your line and it doesn't appear to be suffering from it. That's not to say it isn't but hasn't been identified yet. Also, if your friends have already changed to fibre they would be getting their broadband delivered down a different virtual pathway.

The noise margin for your broadband connection is sitting at 3dB. I've increased it to 6dB in case of outside electrical interference between those times. It would be good to monitor it over the next few evenings, in normal use, to see if there's an improvement. I'll be in the office Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Thanks
DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 60 of 72

Go to solution

Hi @Rockets,

Thanks for speaking with me earlier in the week. As promised I called you and left a voicemail.

Is your connection still performing the way you'd like? Smiley Happy

If it is, can you let me know if you are happy to close your case or if you need any other help at all please?

I'll be in the office on Monday afternoon and will check for a reply from you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings