cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Salmonfish72
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Sudden drop in my broadband speed, What can I do?

Go to solution

On the 6th May 2014 my boradband was on and off cut off. BT information showed problem with broadband in my village. This was resolved at 4 p.m said on the BT site. I am with BT broadband for over 5 years. I have unlimitted broadband tariff.

Since then my home ADSL spped has been dramatically reduced. I have not carried out any changes to my home telephone lines or my one computer that is connected to BT hub. The Hub is connected to the BT Master sockect as has always been.

My download speed use to be 7.07 to 5.88 MB/Sec but since 6th May 2014 it is just about 0.55 to 0.65 MB/sec. I could not stream any You tube or BT Sports since 6th May 2014.

I have tried all suggested on BT's site. Also turned off my BT hub at the wall over night and turned it on this morning and tested the speed- and it is still very slow.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Salmonfish72
Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Sudden drop in my broadband speed, What can I do?

Go to solution

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.49 Mbps

0 Mbps0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.49 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your Broadband Service Provider.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your Broadband Service Provider for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 01:06:53
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):12.9 dB / 29.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):12.6 dB / 7.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.9 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):1 / 0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Leave it alone, do not restart or disconnect it, and it should recover itself in a few days.

Salmonfish72
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Broadband 3.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

all the disconnection at one point reset with a very low conenction speed hence the low profile.  it will as Keith says recover automatically to 7.15mb based on your cuurrent connection speed.  just stay conencted 24/7 and show be ok in 3/5 days maybe even sooner

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Salmonfish72
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

I will follow your advice and report back if has improved.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

there is always someone around to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Salmonfish72
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I am soory to ask another question:

"IP profile rate (Mbps) – To ensure your line doesn’t receive more data than it can cope with; we set a parameter within our network called IP Profile. This profile will be slightly less than the DSL connection rate negotiated by your router. If this wasn’t set we may try to transmit more data to you than your broadband circuit can managed and this would end up having a negative effect on your broadband speed."

Though my DSL connection rate is 8.13MPS, My IP profile rate is set at 0.5Mbps.

Would this be the reason for my braodband speed to drop? Do I have to contact BT to get this set at higher? Can I contact moderators to help me out to set this high.?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

your profile will increase automatically to 7.15mb - you don't need to do anything bar remain connected to internet with no manual resets

Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

just a matter of being patient and if left alone will reset automatically