Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tegriffin
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Sudden slow upload speed making Vodafone sure signal unusable

Go to solution

Half way through today I lost the ability to use my Vodafone Suresignal which is critical to my business as we have no network coverage without this. Normally I get 6-7Mbps download and 0.35Mbps upload with ping times of c35ms. Now I am getting ping times of 150ms+, download of 4-5Mbps and Upload (this is the issue) of as low as 0.1Mbps.  I have reset the BTHub4 but don't think the issue is my hardware. The line profile seems fine but I need to get this fixed so I can work tomorrow. Testing now shows the following results:

18:25:40, 21 Nov.( 82.840000) DSL noise margin: 23.00 dB upstream, 6.20 dB downstream
18:25:40, 21 Nov.( 82.520000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.66 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

Please can anyone suggest what steps I need to take?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sudden slow upload speed making Vodafone sure signal unusable

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

if u The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@tegriffin wrote:

Half way through today I lost the ability to use my Vodafone Suresignal which is critical to my business

Please can anyone suggest what steps I need to take?

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
tegriffin
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

It is a domestic account - I work from home.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
tegriffin
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks for your response. I believe I have posted these stats in my original post? Yes, I have done the quiet line test - the line seems to be clear. The download is fine it is the upload speed and moise margin that seem to be the problem, along with the hugely increased ping latency.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Unfortunately on ADSL, its the upload speed that suffers first when there is any noise, as it is allocated in the lower frequency band.

Even someone working on the exchange frame or cabinet, can induce noise in that range.

Forcing a re-synch by disconnecting the home hub from the phone line for about 20 seconds, then reconnecting it, can result in a faster upload speed..

Its work checking to make sure that nothing else is uploading data, as this will affect your suresignal device.

If ADSL2+ is available, then that will improve upload and download speed.

In order to find out what services and speed range you could be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
tegriffin
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks for your reply. The service has recovered to near normal levels overnight so fingers crossed it was temporary fault. I shall certainly bear your re-synch advice in mind though. I believe I am on the best service available from my local exchange (Maddox) which from memory is called DSL Max?

Many Thanks once again.

0 Ratings