Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ben2332
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Suddenly slow DL & UP speeds, and very high ping

I've had BT Broadband for a month now, they said it would take about 10 days for the line to stabilise, it was more stable during the first 10 days than it is now. During both the day and night including after midnight the internet will suddenly drop to unusable speeds and very high ping times, which also makes gaming or streaming completely impossible. The sudden drops in speed will last between minutes to hours even at times that aren't considered peak e.g. 3AM.

Examples of Speed and Ping during these drops: 0.05 - 0.70 Mpbs Download, >0.1 Mbps Upload, 250-1500ms response time Ping

Any help would be appreciated with this issue thanks.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Suddenly slow DL & UP speeds, and very high ping

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
ben2332
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Do you know which category it would be under in the event logs so I can find it easier?
0 Ratings
ben2332
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

These results are now when it's the internet is perfectly fine at the moment, when it does become suddenly slow I will try and take another screenshot of it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

you could check the WAN LOG
0 Ratings
ben2332
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

15:48:04, 17 Aug. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=17511Kbps, Up Rate=1267Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.1dB, Up=6.3dB

There are no logs for those lines since 17th Aug, I just had a sudden drop in speed and heavy increase in ping to about 500ms as I was playing a game
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

it is possible that the high ping is a problem with the game server could you please run a tracert using windows command prompt to the game server and bbc.co.uk for comparison
0 Ratings
ben2332
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 21

This is at the moment in time, the high ping isn't a problem with the game server as even not in the game the ping will increase and the dl/upl will suddenly drop as well. I was testing it with a speedtest yesterday on my phone as well to check it wasn't just the the actual game server.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

the only speedtest BT except for speed problems is the wholesale speed test using a wired connection as the result are saved on BT Wholesales servers
0 Ratings
ben2332
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by that, the only speedtest that deemed acceptable is the BT wholesale speed test?
0 Ratings