cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Switching to fastpath profile

your connection speed shows you are still on adsl2+ was your speedtest carried out using a wired connection and did you use this speedtest can you please run the further diagnostics part of the BT speedtest with a wired connectionand post the results

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
0 Ratings
MYKEU
Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Hey,

I used a wired connection, and as requested here are the results (download is slighly higher);

The first test -

Download Speed: 11.95

Upload speed: 0.38

Ping: 28

Further diagnostics - 

Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 11.95 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.95 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 17.09 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.38 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.38Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

When I tested it before, I had maximum download AND upload possible. I have no idea why it is considerably slower all of a sudden.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

your connection rate is 19mb but your profile is 17mb so tour download speed will be less than your profile  it is peak time being mid afternoon on a Saturday so you may find your download speed is a bit lower than off peak hence 12mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
MYKEU
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

If it were to be less, I highly doubt that it would be 6-7mb less than what it should be - moreover, my speed use to be at ~20mb so this is quite ridiculous. Peak times have never affected my line when I was with TalkTalk. so why would that affect it now? Also, I tested my connection at 6am this morning and it was still the same (I don't think that is during peak hours).

Furthermore, it would still not explain why my upload is also considerably lower than expected (my margin up is apparently set to 32.6dB).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

you cannot compare the two networks they are totally different networks and exchange infrastucture also TT have considerably less customers all of which can affect download speed as to your upload noise margin it is normal for it to be higher than the download noise margin
0 Ratings
MYKEU
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

It is just quite odd that I started out with 6dB for margin up, and now it is jumped to 32dB.

I understand that the up margin is usually higher than the down margin, but it is 5 times higher.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

the higher margin is due to the lower upstream speed  if that returned to about 1mb then noise margin will reduce

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MYKEU
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

The real question is why has my up noise margin been increased 5 times higher than what it should be. I already know that the higher the noise margin, the lower the upload will be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

it also uses a different set of frequency tones for the upload range a high upload margin is not unusual
0 Ratings
MYKEU
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

It is unusual considering it is 5 times higher than what I should be getting.
0 Ratings