cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeaAndToast
Contributor
Message 21 of 30

Re: Terrible BT broadband speed problems since November

Remember the wiring might not have been performed by BT, as I had extension wires attached to the ones at the main wall instead of the faceplate.  I also had a local builder to come around to tune my Sky as I complained to the building company that my Sky was blocked by their scaffolding. Such a pest me. But anyhow he came in and said, no signal, funny that I was getting 75% on my box; I will have to go and bigger brackets and mount to the front of your house. I said shouldnt you get into one of your hidden menus and do a reboot (which i know of), bingo mate your a star, saved me so much work. And rest of appartment could watch champions league. Also google Fujitsu broadband UK. They will get to you before BT Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 30

If you have a poratbale radio then try tuning to MW612 and move it around check for interference.  That will give you some idea of how much and where there is interference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TeaAndToast
Contributor
Message 23 of 30

Could you please post the pics of that on you tube please, I could use a laugh. That teletubby springs to mind.

This Darth reminds me of BT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fwEmP2CKY

0 Ratings
Sspontaneous
Beginner
Message 24 of 30

I have just had a phone call from BT who have informed me that they have reset the line (on the 3rd May) and NOT to turn off my Hub for 10 days (ending on the 13th May). I asked if it was still ok to unplug my modem lead and replug into the test socket, but was advised not to. I can only keep my fingers crossed that if I wait the ten days, the situation will be improved on completion. Otherwise there will have to be more fiddling and phone calls followed by further waiting for this dam adaptive adsl profiling to settle down again.

Meanwhile the online training program, the management and admin of various websites that i run, the Job searching, shopping, banking and everything else that we iliving in a rural community so much have come to rely on, will have to be put on hold!
 These problems I am sure are related to BT's use of this automated adsl profiling system, as do many of the increasing daily desperate reports of 'slow broadband' and 'disconnection' problems that honest folk are writing on this very forum.
 When are BT going to wake up and find a way around the ten day wait, or the 72 hour wait for the sytem to recallibrate? In the meantime BT are going to loose customers in droves! Even a few hours offline or with a compromised speed issue, is too much for someone who relies on access to the internet.

This wouldn't happen with other domestic services such as electricity or gas, why should we tolerate it with broadband?
I am informed that SKY Broadband for instance will callibrate their Broadband up to speed almost imediately!

I dont have a portable medium wave radio anymore and I can't (for another week) try any of the earlier suggestions.

Above all I don't mind putting some hard effort at my end to get this situation sorted and believe me I have put days and days into it so far, but really I have enough on my plate to get my head around, I really don't want to gain a degree in the intricacies of adsl and broadband, I just want it to effing work properly. I am sure the same could be said for many others suffering these same issues!

Many Thanks for all your help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 30

looks like you need to make sure you don't manually reset the hub until the 13th and see if waht yo have been told actually helps your connection.   you can still check your stats regularly to see if any changes/improvement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 30

HI all isps apart from those offering LLU services have 10 day line training periods and 3/5 day ip profile resetting periods you just have to be patient and wait  Remember there are still some people using dial up internet services as they cannot gety broadband at all and they are in rural areas and they still do all they need day to day at 56k or lower we all did at one time  before broadband speed is just a part ofmodern day life but not everything 

0 Ratings
Sspontaneous
Beginner
Message 27 of 30

Ok thanks, I will just have to cross the 't's and dot the'i's, hang on in grim hopefullness and pray for a miracle to happen on the 13th..what a 'pants' system this is! ...Despair!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sspontaneous
Beginner
Message 28 of 30

To Craig (I couldnt 'reply' on the private message-so i will post it here)

No I am not reseting the hub or nor switching it off!
It seems to be randomly reseting itself, last night for instance I kept getting the "Broadband offline" page whilst trying to use the internet. When I looked at the hub, the orange lights were flashing. It would settle back to blue for a few mins then the same thing would happen again. I am sure its dissconnecting itself quiet often actually. I was asked not to turn off the hub by a caller from BT.

The engineer that came round read a lot of electrical inteferance coming from the hubs own power supply! Having mentioned that, we had the same (loss of speed) problem with the earlier mark one hub.
 We did have stable line for 3 months running at 1.5mbps and our next door neighbours have a stable connection, so I dont know why I shouldn't also get a stable connection?

Anything you could do to help get us a stable connection would greatly be appreciated!

Many thanks

Oh and John 46

"Remember there are still some people using dial up internet services as they cannot gety broadband at all and they are in rural areas and they still do all they need day to day at 56k or lower we all did at one time  before broadband speed is just a part ofmodern day life but not everything "

Yes I understand what your saying but I think most will agree that just like the motor car, the supermarket, the PC, mobile phone or come to that electricity or gas...we have come to rely on all these things in todays age. The broadband powered internet is increasingly gaining importance in the running of daily life. I started with dial-up 12 years ago, I became one of the first BB customers. At that time websites were built smaller to accomodate dial-up speeds, today wesite builders assume, everyone has fast BB and stack their sites to the max.
Living in a Rural location means you have to rely on the internet even more than living in a city.

Remember John, we have actually had a stable 1.5mgps connection here and at the end of the day, we actually made the choice of moving to this location because, on BT's own BB post code checker (and others) it suggested that we should be able to get imbetween 1 - 1.5mgps speed !! We are not in the mountains of wales or the highlands of scotland, we are just 3 miles from rushden. The are large towns all around us.

I have been a happy customer of BT's for over 12 years now and would really like to remain one ideally, .

Thanks for your advice all the same mate!

0 Ratings
Tircoed
Message 29 of 30

Absolutely appaling here.  Had BT broadband boost in on the act.  Engineers says I should receive a 3Mg connection.  It's half of that now and every day I have to reboot the hub as it's running at 300K.

I feel that I'm being punished for complainint about an aceptable service I used to receive a year ago!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 30

Rebooting your hub is the worst thing you can do it need to be left on 24/7 constant rebooting will reduce your speed as the exchange equipment will see the line as unstable and reduce your speed accordingly if you leave the hub with no restarts for 3/5 days your speed will increase automatically
0 Ratings