Hi, I moved to BT after really good service by another small provider who I always got 7Mbps from.
With BT the speed is shocking.
Nothing has changed at home and now I am getting as little as 0.41Mbps.
To keep the "support centre" in Inda happy I have got the "booster" and this has made little difference.
My exchange EACHY is less than 200M away. I have an open call with BT but it is just maked as a problem at the retail servers.
My router (not the HomeHub) shows
Rate 448 8128
Max 996 10976
SNR 20 14.5
Attenuation 6.5 14
BT Wholesale speed test 0.48Mbps
I can't run the other BT speed test, it says the line is too slow!
This is the same Router that was working faultlessly before.
I am connected directly to the Socket and have no other telephony (e.g) SKY connected.
Here is the result
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 0.53 Mbps
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Yes the replacement faceplate.
I'll give the bell wire a go tomorrow.
I've had a go at the test socket, but get little better.