Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elhadi
Contributor
Message 1 of 116

Test socket, speed shot up then down

Go to solution
(The following is a repost of my last thread which couldn't be resolved as i didnt have access to certain fixtures as i wasnt in the UK, Thanks)

Hello,

A couple of months ago, i was speaking to BT about my speed,
At that time I was getting around 4-5mb, the BT support team member asked me to plug my router into the test socket so I did.
My speed SHOT UP to 10Mbps and I was extremely happy,
Sadly 2 hours later my speed started to drop and is currently around
3Mbps (3.8MB Max)
Can someone explain what happened and if there is anyway to regain the 10MBPS or atleast 5Mbps,
Feel free to ask me for any info
0 Ratings
115 REPLIES 115
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 116

Re: Test socket, speed shot up then down

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Elhadi
Contributor
Message 3 of 116

Go to solution

Thank you for the quick reply,

I have BT HOME HUB 2,

The quiet line test was quiet,

These are the ADSL Stats, http://i.imgur.com/0rnETA2.png

Here are the test results, http://i.imgur.com/9chSvJy.png

Tried Test socket like i said above and explained what happened,

Just wanted to say i have been a bt customer for over 10 years and also been waiting for infinity for about 4, it is dissapointing to see they haven't brought it yet, i hope it can be impletmented soon 🙂

If you need any more info just tell me

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 116

Go to solution

My line has 38dB of attenuation, the same as yours.  And I am on ADSL2+, the same as you.  But my downstream sync rate is around 9200kbps, which is about twice what you currently achieve.  One reason I do better is because my target noise margin is the default value of 6dB whereas your has been increased, seemingly to 12dB.

You may think you already tried the test socket and it made no permanent difference but the changes can be subtle initially.  If those stats were not taken with the router in the test socket you need to try that now and record the stats again to see if there are any differences.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 116

Go to solution
Your hubstats are only showing just over 1 hour is this due to a manual restart or is the hub restarting on its own your noise margin is higher than its default 6db setting this is indicating the hub resetting frequently
0 Ratings
Elhadi
Contributor
Message 6 of 116

Go to solution

Its was Resetted for a connection problem on my daughters laptop, 

So what exactly do you want me to do now?

I just fitted the BT I Plate and these are my new stats:

http://i.imgur.com/JLr8dkl.png

Finally, why is it saying that my max achievable speed is 4mb? Maybe this can be the problem?

Please Reply Soon, 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 116

Go to solution

If you fitted an iplate/accelerator then are you now in master socket instead of test socket?  the test socket is preferable to the master and without iplate

you are currently in a banded profile due to conenction problems - current connection only 4min.  you now need to leave the router connected 24/7 for 3/5 days and the banding should release with your noise margin dropping and your speed increasing.  it may take a few weeks for your noi8se margin to get back to normal 6db and your speed to rise back to where it previously used to be

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 116

Go to solution

Also, can you repost the adsl stats after clicking on the "more details" button............

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Elhadi
Contributor
Message 9 of 116

Go to solution

Here are the More Info you asked for :

http://i.imgur.com/oGeQV8X.png

Now, imjolly, in 3-5 days what will my speed change too? or shall i repost the stats?

Thanks,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 116

Go to solution
If you get 3+days internet connection time and your connection speed is 4544 then repost your stats as you may need mod assistance
If you automatically get out banding then i expect noise margin to reduce to 12/15db with an increase in speed. I would expect your noise margin to continue to drop over next few weeks with corresponding speed increases and once noise margin down to normal 6db then i would hope your speed will be about 10mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings