cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamiehamo
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Throttling my speed at peek times?!

Hi all, Iv had BT unlimited ADSL for a week now.. During non-peek hours the Internet seems to be a solid 2.40mb... As soon as it gets to 8:30pm the speed drops to an unusable level of 0.30mb with my ping over 2000ms.

Having been a customer of the awful talk talk in the past I joined BT so I could ensure speed throttling was not an issue... Is there another reason my speeds consistently change at these times ?

Also.. My speed is always perfectly 2.39-2.40 I was quoted speeds from 4-7mb and have yet to see past 2.40 with it commonly staying at 1.19mb aswell.

Any ideas ? Thanks.
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Throttling my speed at peek times?!

Bt do not throttle connections anymore so maybe exchange congestion which has nothing to do with your ISP BT Retail

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).  Must be done wired

The dslchecker results you posted previously showed estimate of about 3mb

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jamiehamo
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

image.png

Jamiehamo
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Is this the correct information ? Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Yes that is connection speed and noise margin - 2.6mb with high noise margin of 9.6db whereas normal is about 6db. If you could maintain stable conenction and get noise margin down to 6db that would help increase your connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jamiehamo
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

How do I accomplish this ? Just leave the hub on 24/7 ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

You need to try and maintain a stable connection 24/7. Router reset today was that manual reset or router dropping connection?

what about using test socket and quiet line test?

0 Ratings
Jamiehamo
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Currently I don't have a telephone to test the quiet line.. I haven't reset the router since Wednesday so I assume it dropped out. I will plug in to the test socket and see if it improves. I get fiber on the 8th so I just need a usable connection until the upgrade. Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

A cheap corded phone for about £5 from Argos is a good investment as it may be line noise causing a problem but without a phone you cannot tell. It could save you getting engineer visit one to find problem was within your home and you get charged £129.99 for engineer visit

0 Ratings
Jamiehamo
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

How do you reduce line noise even if I do get a phone ? Thanks
0 Ratings