cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Thunder & Lightening storm hit pole - BT support extremely VERY poor.

Go to solution

We are on the old copper line BUT that is not the issue.  Customer support - when our cottage was affected when last Sunday 23rd around 7 am a lightening crack hit our cottage and all fuses went down - basically makes the whole situation worse.

1. Power was put back on when all fuse box was back in operation. Result was electric able to be put back on.

2. Using my mobile, I report fault and was told by text message my line and internet were working.

3. I will not type up all the stress that BT customer service gave me just created even more stress!!!  We are in late 70's and then I supported our neighbour who lives on his own, who is in his mid 80's, who was affected like us.  He is not used to a mobile and I would wait the average 60mins to get through and then walk the 200 yards to his home so he could speak to BT and explain his issue.  (As you can imagine phoning this at 8 am and then again in evening hoping to get through with a wait of average 50 mins - becomes VERY stressful as basically when the call is finished you feel you are going to get help BUT you don't.

Each time we are told we would be phoned back but nothing.  It took longer to get his landline transferred to his mobile because he was not able to get a response and BOTH of us have poor signal on our mobiles.

4. Friday - we got a phone line back.  Open Reach came, just by chance outside our gate, I spoke to him, and he came in. Tested main socket on wall but this had blown, affected wire behind and he replaced all.  Said Hub was no good and I needed to get onto BT to order a new one.  

5. Open Reach engineer also confirmed our BT Advanced Phone with 100% call blocking and answerphone was now broken.  So needed to order a new one.

6. Thank fully yesterday my new hub arrived and my new phones. So 29th back online - but HUB does not have a new wire supplied from it to main box.  I am using old one and several times iHub goes off line.  Why do they not send the cable from hub to main socket on wall.  This must have been affected by electric strike?

7. BUT!!!!  It is this terrible customer service for our age group.  All compounded by being told no issues in your area, we will call you back but they don't, I now see emails (as I am back online) when obviously I have phoned them, and it says your complaint is now closed!? 

8. Oh!  After waiting 50 mins plus for Sales - when I said I needed to order a new Hub and was asked 'How do I know it is broken?'  That is after I explained what had happened and how frightening it was - like a hug gun shot.

9. Both my neighbour and I have been with BT for over 40 years.  Now when we need support it is not there. 

Apparently Open Reach is on strike but..... surely just one call back to say we are 'on it' be patient.  

10. I need to see my neighbour later on today because as far as I know he is not back on line.  He said he will have to go to the Satellite Service being offered in village as he can't go through this experience again.

11. Last question - my new phone with two handsets.  I know the base is broken on my other one but is there any way I could use one of the handsets with this new phone?  (As it is exactly the same.)

11. So - now -

I need to see if I can be supplied a new wire from hub - most likely being asked how do I know it is faulty?

P.S. I hope you have been able to follow this - but surely the service should be better than this?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Thunder & Lightening storm hit pole - BT support extremely VERY poor.

Go to solution

I have asked the forum mods to see if they can help you get your phone and broadband fixed  they will post here

your existing handset would need to be un-paired from the existing phone base and then re-paired to the new base.  you may be able to export the phone contacts and then import the contacts into your new handset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Hi @GillyFB, welcome back and sorry to hear of your poor experiences with us.

I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you get all resolved.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Perhaps you can help me with this in a few days' time as I have all contacts now on what a relatively new phone.  As I said it seems a shame to have these handsets sitting there when it was the main base that got zapped.

My head is in a spin at moment as I need to try and find out why my printer is not reading Internet. Blue light on my HP LaserJetP1102w just keeps flashing.  

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

when you got new hub did you change the wifi connection in your printer to the new hub SSID otherwise it will not connect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
I think my brain has been fried! I go into my Printer Properties but stuck where wifi connection is. I thought that could be it but did mobile, tablet, but ....stopped there.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution
Thank you so much - I will try this in the morning as I am so tired! Fresh day and looks like I need to find cable, etc. Thought it might be a case of putting in Wireless Password but it seems I have to treat it like a new printer. x
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Some printers, like my Canon MG5350, have a front panel display where you can manually alter or enter new wireless settings.

Of course the easiest option is to change the wireless settings on the new home hub and make them the same as the old hub. You would have to update the settings on your other devices, but the printer should be happy.

Of course if you ever had to factory reset the home hub, it would revert back to the default settings, which could prove annoying.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

HP LaserJet issues -

1. Found cable and connected Printer.

2. Downloaded software. Restarted computer. Note: Did not get asked for Hub Password?  

3. BUT - on recall I did select direct print?!?

4. Went into Printers and saw I had 2 printers the same listed - so chose Default.

6. Pressed Print and it worked!!!

7. Happiness too early - pulled out lead from printer and laptop and tried print again - nothing.  Sooooo......

8.  Note: On printer blue light flashes by Internet Symbol.

What am I doing wrong - help really appreciated.

0 Ratings