cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SonicHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

To whom do we complain when the BT ISP is blocking a website for no reason?

I can't give the address of the website - yes, it is one of those sort of sites! But it's only sometimes blocked by BT, and they don't bother to say why. The connection just times out. They lifted the block in July, but now the block is back.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: To whom do we complain when the BT ISP is blocking a website for no reason?

Don't bother complaining. Use Tor Browser. Easy enough to find.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

@SonicHawk wrote:

I can't give the address of the website - yes, it is one of those sort of sites! But it's only sometimes blocked by BT, and they don't bother to say why. The connection just times out. They lifted the block in July, but now the block is back.

Just to clarify - you want to complain that BT is blocking access to a torrent site whch will be stuffed full of pirated content? 

0 Ratings
SonicHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

^ If you're referring to what we might call "The Bay" then I'm hardly going to complain that BT have complied with a High Court order that they block access to it. I don't think they had much option, really, did they?

No, the site I have in mind is a legal site that (so far as I know) isn't the subject of any court orders at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Do you have evidence to back up that BT have blocked the site?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
SonicHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

^ I haven't any actual proof that BT are to blame, but there's plenty of supporting evidence.

1: Six pages of anecdotal stuff on the remote site's forum thread from BT users all complaining about an intermittent block on UK users.

2: I checked my computer in a number of ways, including looking at the "hosts" file - so I'm not a raw beginner in trouble-shooting.

3: I even deactivate my modem/router firewall (NOT A RECOMMENDED THING TO DO) as a brief test.

4: The moment I changed my Firefox IP address to a non-UK address, I could connect just fine.

BT, you stand charged. How do you plead?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

I assume it's an illegal or illicit site or a site with illegal/illicit content within it?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
SonicHawk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

^ It's an adult site, sure.

And the content might be illegal in some jurisdictions (such as the Middle-East) but I live in the UK and that website is not illegal in the Western world. And may I remind you that the BT block was lifted in July and only reimposed in late August?

If BT are blocking a site, they should say so - and report me to the police if it's an illegal one. Otherwise, they should get the hell out of my damned way.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Use a proxy.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read

as you can see you are the only person posting here on the subject so i looks like no one is bothered about an illegal site being blocked

0 Ratings