cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Turn off interleaving

Hi,

I've contacted your live chat about turning off interleaving and supposedly they've agreed to get that done but ever since all that has happened was my hub restarted a couple times, and the latency type is still Interleaved and my noise margin HAS DOUBLED and my ping HAS GONE UP instead of down. Now it's just unusable. I know mods here have sorted out this for people in the past, could you please help me out here? Noise margin was stable for weeks and now it is double what it was before I contacted BT.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Turn off interleaving

you posted on adsl forum but do you have adsl or fibre and just posted on wrong board  if the latter then latency is controlled by DLM and automatic with no manual change unlike posts you probably read which were on older adsl

if you are on adsl please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

@imjolly 

I'm on ADSL. I can't do the line test due to not having a phone (only have a mobile phone & broadband). 2 weeks ago I had to rearrange some cables so I had to disconnect the BT Home Hub which caused my latency type to switch from Fast to Interleaved. After 2 weeks of DLM not switching me back, earlier today I asked BT live chat to turn off interleaving. Before asking them, these were my stats:

1. Product Name: HomeHub4
2. Serial number: //removed in case it's sensitive info
3. Firmware version: v0.07.06.25060-BT (Type B) Last updated 4/9/2020
4. Board version: 01B
5. DSL uptime: 14 days, 02:21:57
6. Data Rate: 1225 / 18892
7. Maximum Data Rate: 1220 / 20748
8. Noise Margin: 6.5 / 3.6
9. Line Attenuation: 10.2 / 17.0
10. Signal Attenuation: 10.7 / 21.8
11. Data sent/received: 11889 MB / 1543 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: btknr24
15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA & WPA2 (Recommended)
17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-ZC67
19. 5GHz wireless connections: Disabled (802.11 n (up to 300 Mb/s))
20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only
21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: 94:6a:b0:23:f7:21
24. VPI/VCI: 0/38
25. Modulation: G.992.5(ADSL2+)
26. Latency type: Interleaved
27. Software variant: -
28. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Wed Nov 12 11:47:59 2014)

Then I asked BT Live Chat to turn off interleaving, they've agreed and after finishing the live chat my BT Home Hub restarted a few times which no doubt caused DLM to flip out and apply more interleaving and higher noise margin. THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I'VE ASKED.

1. 	Product Name: 	HomeHub4
2. 	Serial number: 	// removed in case sensitive info
3. 	Firmware version: 	v0.07.06.25060-BT (Type B) Last updated 4/9/2020
4. 	Board version: 	01B
5.	DSL uptime:	0 days, 00:18:04
6.	Data Rate:	888 / 17017
7.	Maximum Data Rate:	888 / 18584
8.	Noise Margin:	15.3 / 6.4
9.	Line Attenuation:	10.2 / 17.5
10.	Signal Attenuation:	10.6 / 22.3
11.	Data sent/received:	4.1 MB / 29.5 MB
12.	Broadband username:	bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13.	BT Wi-fi:	Yes
14.	2.4GHz wireless network/SSID:	btknr24
15.	2.4GHz wireless connections:	Disabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16.	2.4GHz wireless security:	WPA & WPA2 (Recommended)
17.	2.4GHz wireless channel:	Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18.	5GHz wireless network/SSID:	BTHub4-ZC67
19.	5GHz wireless connections:	Disabled (802.11 n (up to 300 Mb/s))
20.	5GHz wireless security:	WPA2 Only
21.	5GHz wireless channel:	Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22.	Firewall:	Default
23.	MAC Address:	94:6a:b0:23:f7:21
24.	VPI/VCI:	0/38
25.	Modulation:	G.992.5(ADSL2+)
26.	Latency type:	Interleaved
27.	Software variant:	-
28.	Boot loader:	0.5.0-BT (Wed Nov 12 11:47:59 2014)

Could mods please reset the DLM for me and set Latency type to fast because this is getting absurd. I've asked for it to be turned off and what they did resulted in much worse ping than before because DLM detected the resets they did as line instability.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

As you are on adsl I have mods to see if they can help and get latency changed to fast. The DLM will still be monitoring connection so drops in connection or line error could result in interleaving being reapplied

mods are really busy so could take longer than normal few days for mods to get back to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thank you very much.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Could you also mention reseting the noise margin back to what it was before live chat made it 2x worse?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

You cannot set the noise margin to 3db only to the normal 6db.  If your line is then stable then DLM will reduce noise margin down to 3db with corresponding speed increase but it is automatic

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

The noise margin was 6.5/3.6 before live chat's resets made it go to 15.3 / 6.4. If I could have it back to 6.5/3.6 with interleaving turned off - latency type to fast (that's how it was 2 weeks ago before I had to turn off my BT Home Hub to rearrange cabling), that would be perfect.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Hi @Trace 

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

We can help get your latency type changed from interleaved to fast path.  You must be one of a very few customer still on ADSL/2 as we haven't had one of these requests in a while to be honest.

We are extremely busy at the moment so please bear with us and we will get to you as soon as you can.  Whoever picks up your case will be able to look at your broadband in greater detail and make sure it's performing at its optimal level.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@Trace wrote:

The noise margin was 6.5/3.6 before live chat's resets made it go to 15.3 / 6.4. If I could have it back to 6.5/3.6 with interleaving turned off - latency type to fast (that's how it was 2 weeks ago before I had to turn off my BT Home Hub to rearrange cabling), that would be perfect.

As I posted already the reset which will change latency will reset noise margin back to normal 6db and assuming your line stays stable with few errors then DLM will reduce the noise margin down to 3db but this is automatic and cannot be set manually

0 Ratings