cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong board, mods please feel free to move 🙂

My question is regarding the USO.

I currently have a 3mb adsl connection due to being too far from the exchange for fibre. Having spoken with openreach there is no plans to upgrade my area to fibre, even though the two towns about 4 miles away are now getting full fibre! Anway, that is a rant for a different day :)......

So when i do the uso checker, BT tells me my solution is a 4g connection. I see that BT now do unlimited 4g broadband, great! Was hoping to change my adsl contract to a 4g one. 

However, I cant order the 4g as it says the signal is too weak in my area!? So BT are telling me that 4g will fufill the uso requirement, yet i cant get it because the signal is too weak? I am at a loss as to what to do.

Would it be correct to suggest that BT should let me out of my contract without penalty as they cant provide the 4g?

This would leave me free to go to a different 4g provider which can fufill the uso. Having tried 3, it was terrible, although vodafone signal is reasonable here so shoud get the 10mb

Any advice appreciated

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: USO

Go to solution

As yòu just got mod assistance to upgrade your conenction to adsl2 in November 2020 I think it is unlikely BT will let you cancel your contract without cancellation charges

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

As you can get a 4g signal that you have stated would give you 10Mbps albeit from another provider and by a different means than you are presently using it would appear that you already meet the minimum 10Mbps for the USO so BT would be under no obligation to assist you to get that 10Mbps. ie let you leave a contract without penalty.

Universal Service Obligation (USO) for Broadband (bt.com)

Your right to request a decent broadband service: What you need to know - Ofcom

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

Literally just spoke to a neighbour, who happens to be on vodafone and they said the signal is really poor, so looks like that is a no go aswell. They only get 3g with 2mb!

So i know 3 is useless, vodafone useless, BT telling me EE is no good and my phone is with o2, so again i know i get **bleep** signal with them too. Live at the bottom of a mountain which is probably what is effecting cellular.

So of none of the big four can get me there, what is my options then?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
I mean, is BT just using 4g as a scapegoat for the uso?
By testing myself and neighbours cellular networks, its pretty obvious the 4g cant do it here either
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Yes, indeed I did and has been super reliable since with no drops, much appreciation to the mods 👍

however, I’m not sure what that has to do with this topic?the topic is nothing to do with my adsl whatsoever, haven’t had any problems since.

the topic was regarding the uso and the fact the 4g nor the adsl at 3mb is able to provide it.

according to the ofcom website, BT and KCOM are responsible for providing it.

I was merely questioning that if BT are saying that 4g is my answer, yet they know even their own 4g here network (EE) is not suitable here, where exactly does that leave me as they are responsible for implementing the USO.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@w4481 wrote:

I was merely questioning that if BT are saying that 4g is my answer, yet they know even their own 4g here network (EE) is not suitable here, where exactly does that leave me as they are responsible for implementing the USO.

If you read through the Ofcom link I posted you will see that there are caveats to the provision of the USO not least the cost:- 

"If the cost of building or upgrading your share of the network connection is £3,400 or less, you won't have to pay for this work to be done.

If it will cost more than £3,400 to connect your home, and you still want a connection, you will have to pay the excess costs. If you want to do this, BT/ KCOM will conduct a survey and give you a quote within 60 days.

You will pay the same price for your new broadband service as anyone else on the same package, and no more than £46.10 a month".

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

after research around the net it really appears that the uso is just a farce really, put forward by the government to look like everyone’s going to get great broadband, when actually most people seem to be fobbed off with 4g.

The 4g networks themselves seem to be giving lots of problems as well as the masts are all to congested  and not really suitable for home broadband.

I still find BT’s 4g solution a wired one as it is offered as my USO from them, yet can’t order due to week signal.

I tried anew payg sim in my phone and was getting 3 bars signal with 53mb download speeds.

I would have thought with an external Ariel on the house it should easily pull the 15mb speed. The BT signal checker says here is ‘good’ aswell.

am I right in thinking the 4g modem is using the exact same technology as the phones?

I am confused

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@w4481 wrote:

Yes, indeed I did and has been super reliable since with no drops, much appreciation to the mods 👍

however, I’m not sure what that has to do with this topic?the topic is nothing to do with my adsl whatsoever, haven’t had any problems since.

my reply was in connection with your question whether you could cancel free so you could move to 4g.  as you just upgraded I said I doubt BT will let you cancel without charges

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Just speaking to BT there, they will let me move to 4g if I wish and stop the adsl, will be put through as an upgrade. More expensive option too so I’m sure they are happy enough.

just to make a decision on what to do now as the reception is questionable!

thanks for everyone’s input

0 Ratings