Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Unable to get broadband over 7mb

Go to solution

1F6D95B4-E8D8-4C9B-A084-48D0A6A5CF80.jpeg

CAE39DBF-AD2A-446B-BE49-A8B8EDF6F448.jpeg

Hi I was wondering does anyone know if there’s anything I can do to get better broadband 

The property BT says speeds between 3-7mbps with garuntee of 2mbps some providers that use openreach say I crnt get broadband and those that can are very low

it looks like I’m unable to get FTTC but other addresses on the street can so I’m wondering can anyone help or advise if maybe there a problem with the availability checker

I’ve attached the detail on the checker that I seen on other posts 

Any advice would be welcome 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unable to get broadband over 7mb

Go to solution

@Smiler891 

The cabinet is full, so there is nothing you can do until ports are available, you just need to keep checking.

If you order normal broadband from BT, then you can upgrade when space is available.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Your street cabinet is full and has a waiting list for FTTC hence why you can't get fibre connection and best you can get is adsl2. If you currently get about 7mb connection that probably best you can get.  You need to keep checking the dslchecker and as soon as you see available then phone and place order for upgrade

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi

thankyou all for the update much appreciated so is it just a simple case of waiting for someone to leave

i haven’t moved to the address yet but the current owners live there and have internet with nowtv and when I tried thier website it said now tv wasn’t available at that address so is it possible once they move out and I move in I might be able to get it?

is it possible that the cabinet available would be expanded?

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@Smiler891 

If you have a moving date, then you need to place your order with BT now. That should ensure that a Working Line Takeover takes place. If you are really lucky, and there are no other pending orders, you may be allocated the port that is now spare.

If you leave it until you move in, there will be a delay while the cease of the existing line takes place, which could be up to 10 days.

Have you tried to place an order with BT Retail yet?

This advice only applies if you are placing your order with BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for advice I don’t have the move date yet

if I was to place order with BT now would only give me the 7mb?

the current owners are with now tv  does that matter?

I feel a bit confused with it all tbh , I’m not fussed who I’m with I just dnt want virgin media

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@Smiler891 

Until you have a date, there is nothing you can do. Also, by the time you do have a date, the availability might change. Even if it is only 7Mbs, you can easily upgrade once capacity is available.

It makes no difference which provider the existing owners have, as the network is provided by Openreach anyway, and will be ceased on the date you move in.

Once you place your order, the existing owners will get a message from their provider to say that someone wants to takeover their line on a specific date. They need to let that happen, otherwise your order would be cancelled.

Its only the Openreach connection that you take over, not their service.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

With the checker showing ‘waiting list’ chances are no provider will offer you anything other than ADSL (7Mb because if the distance to the exchange ) or if they did take your order they wouldn’t be able to action it with Openreach, but it’s likely that the current occupant has FTTC with NowTV and that their FTTC port will  become spare when they move out , (advising Now that they don’t need broadband at that address should change the status to ‘available’.)

You could take ADSL initially and then almost certainly get a free upgrade to FTTC once the equipment is shown as spare , but obviously there may be more than just you waiting for a FTTC port to open up, or you could wait a few days until they have moved out , periodically checking and if/when the checker shows ‘available’ instead of ‘waiting list’ and get your order in then, obviously if someone else grabs the port you are not stuck with ADSL .
There is no magic bullet, even if you thought signing up with the same provider that the current occupant has would be an advantage, it isn’t…if that were allowed then Now TV would have an advantage over all the other ISP’s and that type of thing is deemed anti competitive.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi All

Thanks so much for all your help I’m much more informed and will speak to current owners and see what can do from there

0 Ratings