cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pjblackie
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Unable to get post code updated with Openreach....after many years of trying

This is a saga that has run for years....

I live in a house that is 12 years old, I have lived here for six. We have a BT landline. We have radio broadband because the broadband previously was abysmal.

We now have fibre in the village....I have now returned to the problem of trying to get Openreach to update the post code associated with the phone number.

After talking to someone in India; very nice but not much use I get put through to a customer services individual whod doesn't understand the problem. She says she can connect me to BT fibre, very nice I say but I want to use another provider. She then says certain areas can only have certain providers, I explain that this is essentially illegal due to OFCOM regulations....Oh, she says. I'm not sure what you're problem is....I try to explain again. She puts me through to faults...they cut me off.

I am unable to speak to Openreach directly, as their website says:

The address that Openreach has for me is incorrect and my order cannot be progressed until this is resolved.  How can I report this?

Your service provider needs to raise this with Openreach so please contact them.

What do I do? No one seems to understand! According to Openreach my house does not exist....it's on google maps with the postcode!

Unless the post code is updated I cannot get fibre from anyone else but BT!

HELP!!!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Unable to get post code updated with Openreach....after many years of trying

the only people who can resolve this is the provider who you wish to use who can get Openreach to update the database no one here can help you as it is not a BT retail problem
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

Re: Unable to get post code updated with Openreach....after many years of trying

In some areas, some ISP's can't offer their services right away on Openreach's FTTC network as they don't all always have the relevant connection in the exchange from the fibre kit to their own backhaul network.

As above though, it's completely upto the ISP you're wanting to go with to chase Openreach.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
pjblackie
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

The trouble is the ISP's won't quote for download speeds without checking first....and if I sign up to one then I'm committed to the ISP aren't I? And if they don't have their own network to attach to it how do they check first that they do before taking the contract - as the details with openreach are incorrect?

0 Ratings
pjblackie
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

But BT supply the land line service so they are the provider....they should be able to update openreach with the correct postcode should they not?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

they would update the data base if you were ordering Infinity but as you want to go to another provider then they must ask Openreach to update the data base also just ordering fibre from a supplier will be more expensive then buying a package
you may also find that the other provider will want to take over your phone line as well
0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

@pjblackie wrote:

But BT supply the land line service so they are the provider....they should be able to update openreach with the correct postcode should they not?

No, they're your phone line provider and can only discuss your phone line with Openreach. If you're not ordering Infinity from them they have no way of asking OR to update any info. 

0 Ratings
pjblackie
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

So,

This still doesn't address the problem of being unable to see which ISP's can provide fibre to my house as the phone line and the post code do not match. On the comparison websites it simply says broadband is unavailable.....but I know it is. My exchange is FTTC enabled.

How is that issue resolved without actually buying fibre from an ISP and then finding out wheher they can supply it or what the speed will be?

My phone number and postcode do not match up - so there is still a problem regardless of whether I order fibre or not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Just because your exchange is FTTC enabled, doesn't mean your cabinet is.

Can you run this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com for your telephone number, and post up a screenshot of the results.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
pjblackie
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange SUTTON VALENCE is served by Cabinet 5

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 76.1 20 20 -- Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 61.8 20 17.2 -- Available -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available -- --
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available -- --
VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings