cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Unacceptable response times .....

I spent a very painful hour on the phone to BT Broadband tech support yesterday evening as my broadband has gone down.  I have checked all the hardware and everything is in order.

Eventually I was told that there was an issue at the exchange, however the best they could do was get me a callback between 19:00 - 20:00 on Friday (4 days later).  My wife has since called BT and they have committed to send someone out to check the exchange by 27th January (3 and half weeks' time!).

I work from home and rely on my broadband connection.  I do not have a dedicated business line (which is something I will be looking into, but that doesn't help me now).  None of my neighbours are having issues and there are no major faults reported on the website.

Are these kinds of response times normal???  I've been with BT for a number of years now and fortunately up until now the broadband has been fine.  This is shockingly bad though.

The telephone support yesterday was truly atrocious and the chap's reluctance to stray from his script was infuriating.

Not really sure how best to escalate this?  And help / ideas would be much appreciated please!

Best regards

James

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Unacceptable response times .....

Welcome to this user forum.

Is your phone line working?

Openreach aim to fix a fault wilthin three working days, for residential customers, unless its a major issue. There is likely a backlog of faults over the holiday, so its likely to be longer.

Business customers get priority as they are offered alternative SLAs.

Have you checked the service status page?

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

Have you tried the faults support team

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

The waiting time depends on the problem and availability of Openreach engineers to fix the problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for the quick reply, Keith.

Should have said - yes, the phone line works perfectly clearly.

Note, I was offered a call back in 4 days.  The resolution could be 3+ weeks away apparently.  This is what I believe to be unacceptable.

Best regards

James

P.S.  Have checked the service status page and no issues mentioned

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

Depending on what the fault is is whether it's Openreach or BT Wholesale you're waiting on.

I don't believe for one second they can't get an Openreach Engineer out for almost 4 weeks. I know for a fact they are not busy and even in the places that are busier than others they don't have a 4 day backlog, let alone a 4 week.

All sounds a bit suspect and I'm pretty confident you're being bull **bleep**ted big time.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@JDR1232017 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, Keith.

Should have said - yes, the phone line works perfectly clearly.

This may seem a silly question, but have you checked that the number is the same, as your line could have been crossed with another, it does happen.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Yep - we tried calling our number from a mobile to test the line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

It just seems a bit odd, as faults on the broadband equipment in the exchange are quite rare, but if they do, its usually a fault on a DSLAM port, or card.This may require a lift and shift to a different port, as the card is not normally changed unless there are a large number of faulty ports.

Many circuits are now on 21cn MSANS, but I do not know what the reliability of those ports are, as they were only just being brought into service when I retired.

What can also happen is that owing to human error, or poor routing records, the broadband equipment could have been removed from the line.

This can be easily determined by someone visiting the exchange.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Managed to get through to a UK call centre this evening. They admitted they are making a number of "changes and upgrades" at the exchange and confirmed there is an issue there. Bizarrely they can't get an engineer out until next Monday, even though they must still be working there(?).

Tempted to have a drive by the exchange and see if I can see anyone working there.

Really disappointed with BT how they're handling this.

Does anyone know what kind or response times / service you could expect with a business contract?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

This page may help

http://www.bt.co.uk/pricing/current/Maintenance_boo/2-0201_d0e5.htm

Service Care Levels for Business

The Service Care Levels, for business are defined below.

Standard Care

Prompt Care

Total Care

Critical Care

Priority Service