Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mewnor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 30

Unusable broadband speed 0.18mb d/l

Go to solution

I joined BT on the 24th October, The phone line never had a dialtone but the Broadband started off at 4mb download but would disconnect every 2 mins, I presume some form of DLM ran it into the ground until it could find a stable speed and it is now sitting at an unusable 0.18mb download.

The engineers came out today and replaced an outside cable, this got me a dialtone but my broadband is still the same slow speed, I asked customer services if they could raise my profile but they said its on some kind of new customer consolidation period and I should see it move up gradually over the next 3 days.

6mb is my estimated maximum, Now 6mb in this day and age is still dreadful but if thats all I can get then thats all i can get and i'd take that right now.

Its been 4 hours now and nothing has altered on the broadband line, how long must it stay connected before it realises the phone line is fixed and will start to improve?

Im ready to put money on that nothing changes in 3 days and then ill have to speak to India again and go through the whole process again!!

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 04:00:12
Downstream:287.1 Kbps
Upstream:446.9 Kbps

The homehub 4 wont give me any other information. such as s/n ratio and the speedchecker wont work as the line is too slow! i have to use speedtest.org

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Unusable broadband speed 0.18mb d/l

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

if you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then logs you are looking for 2 entries when the router conencted to the internet wjich will show connection speed and noise margin - can you post please

you should still be able to ger btspeedtester to work and if it does can you run the diagnostic test when first test completes 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mewnor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution

btspeedtester result

download 0.22

upload 0.34

latency 40.88

12:01:43, 30 Sep.( 75.410000) DSL noise margin: 22.90 dB upstream, 15.50 dB downstream
12:01:42, 30 Sep.( 74.580000) DSL line rate: 446 Kbps upstream, 287 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
nickjonezy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

I am in a similar boat to you. I joined BT a week or so ago and my speeds are also 0.2 mb. However, this is only on my laptop, not my other devices. They are all around 4 mbs. I've already posted my problem on a separate post, but I'd thought I would mention this to you in case your problem is specific to your device. If you haven't already, I recommend trying another computer - a friend's laptop or something - to check that it's not just a conflict between your device and the hub.

0 Ratings
mewnor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.22 Mbps

0 Mbps0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.36 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
mewnor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

It is the same speed for all devices, its the ip profile that needs raising, there is no issue with the S/N ratio and the telephone line is clear with no static at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

sorry when did you join BT 24 October? 2012?

can you try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet no hiss/crackle and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal

are you conencted to test socket?

from the stats you posted looks like a banded profile which will take 3/5 days to recover from assuming conenction 24/7

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

@mewnor wrote:

It is the same speed for all devices, its the ip profile that needs raising, there is no issue with the S/N ratio and the telephone line is clear with no static at all.

there is nothing wrong with the ip profile as it is correct for your connection speed - the problem is your conenction speed is only 287 due to the high noise ratio margin.  once banding releases your speed will return with the drop in noise margin

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution
If you have only just joined BT then you are still a 10 day line training period
0 Ratings
mewnor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

I joined 24th September sorry for the confusion.

Another 3/5 days of this is going to be painful.

Its worse than dialup.

0 Ratings