Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
miketaylor7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Upgrade to ADSL2+

Go to solution

After nearly a year of BT extending the availability date my exchange (Falkland) has finally been upgraded to infinity and 2+. Infinity is not available to me as my cabinet at the top of the road has not been changed yet. I have been on the phone for about 45 minutes trying to explain to the guy, whose grasp of the english language is minimal taht all I want is to be upgraded to 2+. I renewed my contract a couple of months ago and am on option 3 - unlimited. Is there a way that I can have my line upgraded to ADSL2+ whilst i await the arrival of Infinity? According to the BT Availability checker I am connected to Cabinet 3 of the Falkland exchange. WBC ADSL2+ and WBC ADSL2+ Annex M are both available to me.

Thanks for your help

Mike Taylor

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Upgrade to ADSL2+

Go to solution

Hi miketaylor7,

As a BT Retail broadband customer and still in contract thenonce your exchange has been BTW 21cn upgraded then your will automatically be migrated to the new 21cn network. However be aware that this can take days to weeks to months after the exchange is BTw 21cn upgraded as the lines have to be manually migrated over in batches.

As to the BTw 21cn network which allows ADSL2/2+ modulation (upto 12/20mbps), the ADSL2/2+ modulations are more aggressive to any noise on your line. It may also increase your line attenuation by 2/4dB, therefore on longer lines it can make the connection unstable if your line isn't able to cope with these higher frequencies.

Also when your exchange has been 21cn upgraded, the lines have to be migrated to the new 21cn hardware in the exchange in batches so it can take days/weeks/months for all the lines to be migrated over to the 21cn network. Also you may be kept on ADSLMax (upto 8mbps) modulation but on the 21cn network if your line isn't able to cope with ADSL2/2+.

Some BT Retail customers have tried to recontract their BT Retail broadband and other services to try and skip the queue, however you may need to agree on a new contract period.

In my experience it took about 4 months for our line to be moved onto the BTw 21cn network after the exchnage had been BTw 21cn upgraded

please can you firsty post the results from the BT WHolesale Checker for your landline number via http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl

Remember to edit out your landline number before pressing post.

Secondly please can you post your current ADSL line stats which include connection rate, line attenuation, noise margins, ect..

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 1.3)

or http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9118 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 94.1.11)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

If you have a HomeHub 4 then the majority of the ADSL Stats shown in the previous Hubs will not be there.

for HH4 users you can go to hub manager then select troubleshooting then logs and are look for 2 entries together which will show theconnection speed and noise margin for when your HH4 last sycned with the exchange.

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
miketaylor7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for the info. Here is the info requested:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number                  on Exchange FALKLAND is served by Cabinet 3

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 10.5--8.5 to 12.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 10.5Up to 18.5 to 12.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:5 days, 04:23:49
Downstream:8,128 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.3 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):24.0 dB / 13.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):53690 / 83
CRC Events (Down/Up):2 / 10
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):7 / 6
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

the mods will help you get upgraded and they will post a contact us link 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Miketaylor7,

Thanks for posting, I'm sure we'll be able to help you get this sorted. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Cheers

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
miketaylor7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks Neil,

Info sent.

Mike

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
please post back and let us know how you get on as it helps others
0 Ratings
miketaylor7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Will do.

0 Ratings
miketaylor7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

All live and working!

Thanks for your help Stuart & the other mods - excellent!

0 Ratings