cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
desktopgaming
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Upgraded to Unlimited Broadband Extra - or have I?

Hello

My phone exchange recently got upgraded to FTTC.  I live 2.4KM from the cabinet so I already appreciate that I'm on the outer reaches.

All the information I've looked at reckons I should be able to get around 14Mb downstream and this is confirmed by the BT Wholesale ADSL checker.

So I upgraded to BT Unlimited Broadband Extra which claims speeds of "up to 17Mb".  Due to the distance I can't get BT Infinity, so it says.

The ADSL page on my router settings (HH2) still shows that my connection speed is 8,128 (8Mb) - even after numerous resets, and as usual, I'm getting as near as dammit, full speed in speed tests (7.97Mb).

Obviously I wasn't expecting miracles, but it seems like I've just upgraded to a new package with BT and painted myself into a new 12 month contract with them, and go no benefit whatsoever from it.  It also bothers me that on my BT Account it says "order complete", yet I have had no email or SMS notification of this (the order confirmation email said I would receive either/or when the new service was ready).

What's going on?  Is the HH2 the problem?  Is it internally capped at 8Mb?  They did try to sell me a HH4 during the order process but since that's ADSL too, I didn't see the point in wasting £35.

Help.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Upgraded to Unlimited Broadband Extra - or have I?

can you enter your phone number and post results  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you post the adsl stats from your hh2

looks like you are still on adslmax with max speed 8128kbps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
desktopgaming
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

fttc.png

adsl.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

as you can see there is no adsl2/2+ available on your exchange only adslmax which you have

the upgrade should be to broadband with fibre which is basically infinity but for customers where the estimated connection speed is <15mb

try phoning the options team who are uk based and see if they can sort it out for you  0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
desktopgaming
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hm. 😕

Just called them, got absolutely nowhere.

The guy at the other end spoke very poor English - I don't think he even understood the problem.  He asked me to restart the router - explained that I've already done that four or five times including a complete power-off.  He then proceeded to tell me to open up the box and plug into the master socket, which is where I stopped him and explained that I was reporting an account problem, not a line fault.  I just gave up in the end.

Isn't there anybody on this forum who can directly assist from BT's end?  I had problems a couple of years ago where my line got stuck at 2mbps and somebody here fixed it where BT phone customer services had repeatedly failed.  I don't think there's ever been an occasion where I've used BT phone services and actually got a solution.  Which is awful, really.

[edit] Trying Live Assistance with someone called Charu.  I think he's gone to sleep. 😕

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

the options team are uk based unless you got redirected you should have got sales people not helpline.

the mods still help people but at present you are talking of a delay of about 5/6 working days before mods woould get back to you

0 Ratings