Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Uploads disrupt downloads on ADSL

Go to solution

I have an interesting but annoying issue for many months now. This issue is 100% reproducible and consistent. Whenever any device is uploading a file, or files, the connection to the Internet for all devices is disrupted. Downloads hang... DNS errors... Web pages don't load... Android & iOS apps report failures to connect to the Internet... Etc

I realise that the standard requirement on this forum is to provide all of the details of the connection: connection speed, noise margins, etc. I could provide such information but I suggest that this would not be relevant because this issue can be reproduced under any line conditions that we've seen over the many months now.

I post this to see if others have seen similar issues?

A typical scenario for us is as follows : the wife and I get home from a day out. Either of us have taken photos on our smart phone. Once the phone connects to our home Wi-Fi network it begins to synch the photos to the cloud. The internet at our home then becomes unusable until the uploads complete. So, uploading works but all other connections fail until the uploads complete. If we pause the uploads then all other connections begin working again as well.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Uploads disrupt downloads on ADSL

Go to solution

That is normal behavior if the upload bandwidth is being fully utilised by an upload. Even when you are accessing information from the Internet, each data packet has to receive an acknowledgement from the receiving end. If this cannot be sent due to lack of upload bandwidth, the connection will time out.

As you on ADSL MAX, or ADSL2+?

When you do a BT Wholesale Speed Test, what upload speed are you seeing?

ksaro1
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe thanks for pointing this out  for me  Smiley Wink... Right - I had totally forgotten about the need for acknowledgement packets.

I'm not  sure which ADSL I am on? It will be the lowest spec one for sure though.

Speed test normally shows about 300kB/s upload.

Any tips on minimising this impact?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you post your adsl stats from your router please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
ksaro1
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

you have a good connection speed for your distance fro the exchange and better than estimated.  I was hoping even if no fibre available that you may have been able to upgrade to adsl2 which may have slightly increased your down speed but would have increased you up speed by 100%  unfortunately your exchnage has not yet been upgraded to 21CN and adsl2

so at present you have as good as you can get

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings