Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HampshireVegan
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Uploads larger than ~15mb cause HH5 to reboot :(

Go to solution

Stuck for a solution to HH5 reobooting when uploads larger than ~15mb are performed. Have had success with smaller files, both image and video but anything larger than around ~15mb causes the HH5 to reboot, orange lights for a minute or so and then get back up and running. I'm in a rural area with less than desirable speeds ~7mbps down and ~1mbps up, but that's not the issue. I don't care if an upload takes all day, if the connection can be maintained. 

Please let me know if any additional information can be provided to help. I've searched the threads here and see many instances of this, but not posted solutions. A lot of SOLVED threads, where a mod stepped in and resolved via PM, which is great - but not directly helpful as no information shared publicly. If this isn't something I can fix myself, who do I contact? 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
HampshireVegan
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Uploads larger than ~15mb cause HH5 to reboot :(

Go to solution

Line tested today by BT team, replacement HH5 being sent out. Hopefully this resolves the issue, but will report back.

0 Ratings
HampshireVegan
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Issue persists with new router. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You need to restrict the upload speed so that its less than the upload speed as tested by the BT Wholesale speed tester.

If you upload the data to the home hub any faster, then it will reboot.

If you cannot do that with the uploading program, then I suggest you use a third party router which has bandwidth controls.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Connection-drops-during-uploads/m-p/1800489#M14...

0 Ratings
HampshireVegan
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The uploading program in this instance would be google chrom, for uploads to YouTube, Facebook etc. I'm not personally aware of any upload limit controls within Chrome. 

I have an ASUS Router which I previously used in configuration with this HH5 in my old property, but the connection there was fibre and I didn't have these issues. I will see if there are any controls there and perhaps this can be a workaround. 

Thanks so much for your reply. 

0 Ratings
HampshireVegan
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Using Chrome's Network Throttling controls per web page under F12 menu has provided a moderate solution. Thanks for your help. will look into using 3rd party router to apply this for all traffic within the house. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

The TP Link router W9970 I use works just fine, and you can configure upload/download and QOS, per device, so you can prevent one device taking over the whole upload bandwidth by giving it a lower priority. It will still get the full amount when nobody else is using the connection.

You can see the settings I use by looking at my website article.

I use mine on ADSL2+.

0 Ratings