Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ErikaPrice
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Urgent Advice Needed Re Slow BB Speeds & Intermittent BB Downtime

Go to solution

I'm in urgent need of advice please re my intermittent broadband problems

For the past week now I've been getting very slow speeds and occasionally the broadband disappears altogether. When it disappears, my phone line goes out too, so I'm convinced it's a problem with the BT line.

When I first contacted BT they did a line test and confirmed there was a problem with the line. After an hour and a half on the phone to them (on another phone line), both phone and broadband started working again - intermittently. BT now say that the problem is with my internal wiring. I'm getting increasingly frustrated, especially with the BT call centre getting me to repeat the same checklist tests, router resets, etc. As an ex-telecoms project manager I'm not entirely a novice user, and desperately want to get this resolved but don't know how to break through the BT call centre barrier.

My NETGear Wireless-N stats show the following:

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed896 kbps96 kbps
Line Attenuation53.0 db31.5 db
Noise Margin10.6 db7.0 db

The speed also looks somewhat lower than the line speeds I should be getting (table below is from BTs ADSL Checker):

ADSL MaxUp to 5--3.5 to 7.5Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available

Can anyone offer any suggestions at all please?

Many thanks in advance,

Erika

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
MrTUK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: Urgent Advice Needed Re Slow BB Speeds & Intermittent BB Downtime

Go to solution

Have you tried the quite line test i think it 17070 and option 2 from master socket, if you hear noise i would report phone fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

can you connect to the test socket and repost your stats as this will eliminate any problems caused by your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
ErikaPrice
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution
Thanks MrTUK - will try it now
0 Ratings
ErikaPrice
Beginner
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution
Thanks John,
Not sure what to do now, as I just tried the phone line as advised and there is no dial tone - the line sounds completely dead, though the internet is trickling along...
Erika
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

did you try phone from test socket?  internet will work with only 1 wire connected but your phone requires both connected to work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ErikaPrice
Beginner
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Yes, I tried the phone from both sockets. Have also tried to access the BT Line Checker at https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21&s_cid=con_FURL_faults but I'm just getting a blank screen

0 Ratings
ErikaPrice
Beginner
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution
Sorry, my mistake - I've just tried the test socket from the master switch and it worked fine, so did the quiet line test.

Does that mean the fault is likely to be with my internal wiring?

Thank you so much for all your help,
Erika
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

yes if it works from test socket there is a problem with master front plate or internal wiring.  do you have extension sockets in other rooms?

0 Ratings