Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
m1geo
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Variable Internet - 2 months later - 3 engineers - new router - new wiring

Go to solution

Hello all. First post, so please be kind.

I'm a technical person, but I don't know the intricacies of how the Internet works!

So, here's the story. 2 months ago, our broadband service went unstable. We used get approx 5 Mbps ADSL. However, since the speed became variable, we often find ourselves with speeds of 50 kbps! All the while, the connection never drops, and the router sync speed remains constant. I have found it almost impossible to get this through to BT Engineers/Call-centre staff. I started graphing the Download, Upload and Ping, to see if I could find any trends (I'm a scientist, after all).

In total, we've had 3 engineers visit us from Openreach, all of whom conclude the line is okay, which I don't doubt, given the first engineer installed a new drop-wire and refitted the SSPE to have an ADSL filter built in. The second and third engineers seemed to contradict each other. The second said it was an exchange backhaul fault. The third said that was highly unlikely. We've had a new HomeHub 5 posted out, that never changed anything either. The last engineer visit was last Friday afternoon (see the the 1 week graph). Nothing has made any difference!

Here's a few graphs of the problem, showing this is a proper issue.

Last 3 hours

Last 24 hours

Last Week

I have weeks of data showing the same thing. Aside from these test results (from a quick program I wrote to periodically test the internet), I get errors when I am surfing the internet, and iPlayer fails to work regularly (even on SD programs).

If I turn to the BT HomeHub 5, the connection is stable and the line-sync-speed is constant. It's been connected for the last 23 hours (I rebooted the router last night in an attempt to encourage some faster internet to check emails, etc)...

1.	Product Name:	HomeHub5
2.	Serial number:	+076XXX+151XXXXXXX
3.	Firmware version:	v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]
4.	Board version:	01
5.	ADSL uptime:	0 days, 22:45:56
6.	Bandwidth:	448 / 7648
7.	Data sent/received:	3.5 GB / 5.7 GB
8.	Broadband username:	bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9.	BT Wi-fi:	Yes
10.	2.4GHz wireless network/SSID:	BTHub5-NXXX
11.	2.4GHz wireless connections:	Disabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
12.	2.4GHz wireless security:	WPA2 Only (Recommended)
13.	2.4GHz wireless channel:	Automatic (Smart Wireless)
14.	5GHz wireless network/SSID:	BTHub5-NXXX
15.	5GHz wireless connections:	Disabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
16.	5GHz wireless security:	WPA2 Only (Recommended)
17.	5GHz wireless channel:	Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18.	Firewall:	Default
19.	MAC Address:	xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
20.	VPI/VCI:	0/38
21.	Modulation:	G.992.1(DMT)
22.	Latency type:	Interleaved
23.	Software variant:	-
24.	Boot loader:	0.5.0-BT (Tue Jun 17 18:52:56 2014)

Also, if I look in the WAN log on the HH5, I see the following, regarding the PPP LCP.

20:27:23, 21 May.	WAN connection ATM connected
20:27:23, 21 May.	PPP IPCP Receive Configuration ACK
20:27:22, 21 May.	PPP IPCP Send Configuration Request
20:27:22, 21 May.	PPP IPCP Receive Configuration NAK
20:27:22, 21 May.	PPP IPCP Receive Configuration Reject
20:27:22, 21 May.	PPP IPCP Send Configuration ACK
20:27:22, 21 May.	PPP IPCP Receive Configuration Request
20:27:21, 21 May.	PPP CHAP Receive success : authentication successful
20:27:21, 21 May.	PPP CHAP Receive Challenge
20:27:21, 21 May.	PPP LCP Receive Configuration ACK
20:27:21, 21 May.	PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
20:27:19, 21 May.	PPP LCP Send Configuration ACK
20:27:19, 21 May.	PPP LCP Receive Configuration Request
20:27:17, 21 May.	PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
20:26:44, 21 May.	PPP LCP Send Termination ACK
20:26:44, 21 May.	PPP LCP Receive Termination Request (NONE)
20:26:43, 21 May.	PPP LCP Receive Configuration ACK
20:26:43, 21 May.	PPP LCP Send Configuration ACK
20:26:43, 21 May.	PPP LCP Receive Configuration Request
20:26:43, 21 May.	PPP LCP Send Configuration Request
20:26:27, 21 May.	DSL Link Up: Down Rate=7648Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=9.7dB, Up=23.0dB

I don't know if the reported figures are good or bad, "Down Rate=7648Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=9.7dB, Up=23.0dB".  I NEVER get anywhere near the upload rate of 448 kbps (I get a maximum of 100 kbps).

I am just at the end of my theather with this. I honestly don't know what I can do or say to get this resolved. All I seem to get told is that it's my switch (gigabit Netgear) that's causing the trouble, or that I am using it all on another computer. I am always told that "the line checks okay" when the engineer connects a handheld tester-o-matic to the line. But, as you can see from the graphs, It's certainly not okay. A ping of 4 seconds (!!!!) is not a "fixed line".  BT have tried to get the issue solved, but they haven't succeeded. Now they're just suggesting this is my fault!

Any suggestions, help, etc, would be greatly received. I write this from my mobile phone hotspot. I'm happy to run any tests that I can to help resolve this! 🙂

Sorry for the long post - I tried to get as much detail in as possible!

Please save me! 🙂

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Variable Internet - 2 months later - 3 engineers - new router - new wiring

Go to solution

You are on adslmax with a connection speed of 7.6mb and max is 8mb with up speed of standard 448kbps. Your connection time is only 22hrs was that a manual reset or router dropping connection 

try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best with corded hone

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results. Must e done with wired connection direct to hub

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
m1geo
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

The connection was reset in the hope that it would improve the speed yesterday evening. It doesn't (from what I have noticed) drop on it's own.  It was definitely a manual reset.

I am not sure what I am supposed to learn from the quiet test. I did as you suggested, and the line was perfectly quiet. The only sound was the periodic announcement voice saying "silent test".

From the speedtest, all done using gigabit ethernet cable direct to hub. Nothing else connected.

test 1: download 0.33 mbps, upload 0.09 mbps, ping 0.00 ms.

test 2:

test 3: always fails, despite reconfiguing the router as suggested (see below)

Router reconfigured for test 3

Finally, from the ADSL Checker page:

Thanks very much. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

You do the quiet line test to check line for noise which is a killer for broadband. You should hear nothing using a corded phone apart from the announcement

resets will not help your connection and in fact will more than likely make it worse

the btspeedtester result is terrible can you try using port 2 on router

m1geo
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

It's the same on all ports.

It's also the second router that I have had. BT sent another one out to me, and it didn't fix it. 

The line sync seems to be totally stable. 7.66 Mbps - it doesn't ever drop (that I notice) or change at all.

The actual achievable throughput on the internet connection is very poor.  This is the crux of the problem! It is all over the place!

Very disapponted, as this has been ongoing for months now 😞

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @m1geo and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with the connection. It looks like you've done as much as you can at your end so I'll be happy to lend a hand with this. Can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
m1geo
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi All.

After some comments made above (regarding Ethernet ports) and a little further reading, I decided to fire up Wireshark and have a look at the network traffic.

To my surprise, it was a bit chaotic, and after some further testing, swapping around the network cables into the router cured the problem.

For the moment, the issue is resolved, but I now want to understand the cause of the problem.

However, thanks for the help, everyone, and I'll mark the thread as solved.

0 Ratings