cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Variable response times

Like many I get variable speeds and occasional drop outs, but the question is slightly different so hopefully you will bear with me if I seem to be asking something already answered.

My nominal speed is 2.3 Mbits, though it can drop to around 1.0 Mbits.  The problem however is how long sites can take to respond, how slow the page is written to the screen and how variable that can be even with the same site. This is worse (or certainly appears to be) at mid-term and after 4.00 p.m. so I tend to blame school children getting home and going on line! If I check the speed when sites are loading very slowly, more often than not the speed is around 2.0 Mbits, yet at other times sites respond quickly yet the speed is slower. Downloads also vary - start off at 2 or 3Mbits and then drop to almost to the old dial up speeds. Other times they download very (for me) fast.

I believe the contention ratio is to blame, partly because of the school related issue, and partly because switching off the modem for a few minutes can sometimes help, as if I am picking up a less busy "box" at the exchange. Sometimes it solves itself if I try again later so I doubt if it is the modem to blame.

The question is therefore - am I right and if so, is there anything I can do, or if I am wrong can my modem (Netgear DGN 3500) be to blame.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Variable response times

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Sorry - I wasn't sure how to get these stats on my Netgear router - still not sure as there is no "ADSL stats" option.

Speedtest - Download 1.41

Upload - 0.87

Ping 39

Diagnostics didn't find anything untoward.

Noise test on line was OK - nothing untoward.

Router connected to master socket with a short cable. I do have other sockets but I have tested with everything bar PC connected. Also tried with only laptop connected. Same results. All PCs on network when connected give same results so seems unlikely to be a PC settings or house wiring issues. Even iPad which obviously goes to my router via WiFi gets 1.93 down, 0.86 up and ping (to Lancaster) 59.

Ian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

on netgear enter 192.168.0.1 into your browser and they are the bottom of router status page

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thank you

System Up Time 00:03:18
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA5934101960354910474300:02:07
LAN10M/100M108007899071635450200:03:10
WLAN11M/54M/270M236012910163971800:02:32
ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed2271 kbps1013 kbps
Line Attenuation57.8 db32.5 db
Noise Margin6.4 db5.4 db
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

connection time is only 2min is that due to manual reset?

have you tried the test socket? 

0 Ratings
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Sorry - been away.

Yes, I had just done a manual reset. I have checked again now that it has been on for a few days. Speed not much different and web page response times are still very slow. The bt.com page for example took about 3 seconds to load and did so in noticable stages.

I have tried two different machines connected via short cable to modem which is connectd to master socket with nothing plugged into any other socket in the house. Not much difference noted. Reminds me of the situation when I was working - sometimes the LAN was very slow because too many people were using it. I suspect the exchange basically can't cope with the load, butthat opinion may well be due to ignorance on my part!

Ian

System Up Time 104:15:17
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA1291977180696706105117104:14:03
LAN10M/100M15070932028952024802462104:15:09
WLAN11M/54M/270M58765444807671055401022104:14:31
ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed2271 kbps916 kbps
Line Attenuation57.8 db32.5 db
Noise Margin4.3 db6.9 db
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Have you tried the test socket instead of the master as that will eliminate any problems caused by your internal wiring?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Begadoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Yes I have. Just tried again and if anything it was a few K faster using the normal socket! Anyway, as I understand all the test socket does is bypass any BT wired extensions, I wouldn't have expected any difference. Only the incoming line is hard wired into the master socket; all extensions are via an adapter plugged into the line socket of the filter plugged into the user socket. I had tried earlier with all those disconnected.

At the moment my connection is behaving reasonably well, usually does in the morning. It does seem to get bad when school is out which is why, in my ignorance perhaps, I think it is a contention issue at the local exchange!

Thanks for your help and patience.

PS - I have also tried another filter.

Ian

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

when you tried the test socket did you leave router conencted for a few days?

0 Ratings