cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelenG
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Very Frustrated - fluctuating and poorer connectivity

Just been on the phone to BT for half an hour trying to resolve fluctuating and poor connectivity.

Using a HH4, I used to get a fairly consistent 6.8 Mbs but now it fluctuates between 2-4Mbs. It is making life really difficult as I often work from home and I cannot get a reliable connection.

The woman at BT told me that she could see that I got approx 5Mbs but I could not. I very briefly saw 6.8 when everything was disconnected, but when I looked a second time with everything still disconnected I saw 1.3.

She told me that there was nothing further she could do as she saw me over the minimum required level of 2.5 ish and that was that.

What is going on ? Is there any chance it could be to do with my equipment or is it more likely to be something at the exchange ? Could someone PLEASE HELP !!

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Very Frustrated

@HelenG

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Noise on the phone line will affect broadband speed.

Are you connecting to the home hub using a direct Ethernet cable, or wireless?

0 Ratings
HelenG
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Just tried that as saw the suggestion on another post. Unfortunately no, it was clear.
0 Ratings
HelenG
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Am connecting via an ethernet cable. Could it be damaged ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Which BT Home hub do you have?

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
HelenG
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number on Exchange COLDINGHAM

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL MaxUp to 5--3.5 to 7.5Available----
Fixed Rate2 ----Available----

Home Hub 4

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Hi Welcome to the community forums

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

0 Ratings
HelenG
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

17:06:16, 01 Dec.( 76.240000) DSL noise margin: 25.00 dB upstream, 10.10 dB downstream
17:06:15, 01 Dec.( 76.010000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream

When looking for these I found loads of entries saying BLOCKED - is that normal ?

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 3.24 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
HelenG
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Do you need anything else ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

The blocked messages are just the firewall doing its job nothing to worry over