Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lemondropcr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Very Slow Broadband Speed - Phone line goes dead

Hello

Can anyone advise us how we are best to solve the following issue please?

For a while now we have been losing broadand connection several times daily. When this happens the phone line goes dead too, then comes back on after sometimes 20min and the router reconnects. The phone is connected directly to the BT socket connected to the incoming external phone wires. This makes me think the issue is not within the house.

We think that all the disconnections have caused the broadband profile to decrease which has resulted in an unusable download speed of less than 1mb.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Very Slow Broadband Speed - Phone line goes dead

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if the disconnections stop.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
lemondropcr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hello Keith

Thanks for your reply.

The connection is as your diagrams explain and I have tried a new filter. I only connected the phone directly to confirm the line was at the time dead. I have just run another speedtest and the profile is down at .25mb.

Thanks very much for your reply and help.

David

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Do you have any extension wiring?

Its best to leave the phone plugged in.

0 Ratings
lemondropcr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hello Keith Sorry for the delay in my reply. There is no extension wiring. The phone line has been dead all day. As i rarely use the phone i am unsure how long it has been like this. The broadband however is still working but very slowly. Thanks again for your help, i appreciate it. David
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@lemondropcr wrote:
Hello Keith Sorry for the delay in my reply. There is no extension wiring. The phone line has been dead all day. As i rarely use the phone i am unsure how long it has been like this. The broadband however is still working but very slowly. Thanks again for your help, i appreciate it. David

If one wire of your phone line is disconnected, you will get a very poor speed, and no dial tone.

You need to report it as no dial tone. Do not mention the broadband.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better. It will get fixed quicker, as there are plenty of Field Technicians who can fix phone faults, but not many broadband ones.

0 Ratings
lemondropcr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Hello Keith

Thanks very much for your help.

I will report the fault.

David

0 Ratings