Re: Very Slow Broadband Speed & Dropping Out

Go to solution
line noise is certainly not normal and should not be audible at any time
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 12 of 94

Go to solution

I'll give them a ring then but always assumed noise on the line was normal during the first 10 days. Its only a slight hiss when using the test socket but using the other socket is noticeably louder and crackly. What i dont want is to incur any additional charges but i cant see that happening as the problem is beyond my ownership- i was always told bt's responsibility is beyond the faceplate and i cant touch anything beyond that point.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 94

Go to solution

There should no line noise right from connection and any line noise needs fixed before your broadband will improve.  You need to check sgain that there is noise when using a new filter in the test socket. If noise worse from another socket then there is a problem with your extension wiring and I would suggest you chevk that before engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 14 of 94

Go to solution

Problem is the extension is wired into the master (behind the test socket) so i'm not supposed to touch any of that?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 15 of 94

Go to solution

Here is a photo if it helps - as you can see there are 2 black wires going to the box. One from outside and another is rooted outside going to a second upstairs box which we dont use. I presume i'm not supposed to open the box up any further as beyond that point is bt ownership.

IMG_20140622_145513_239.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 94

Go to solution
looking at your picture the extension wiring is as it should be on the removable faceplate with the face plate removed all extensions should not work
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 17 of 94

Go to solution

Yes thats correct the extension doesnt work through the test socket although its not something we'll be using anyway. I will probably just remove it eventually but obviously need to sort it all out first. So looking at the picture and the fact that i'm getting noise on the test socket would i be liable for a call out charge? I cant see how as i've checked everything internal and beyond that test socket is out of my ownership and although i could go poking around in there i dont want to be liable for anything. The only possibility and one that i dont want to overlook is that i'm using a wireless telelphone so i'm going to order a wired telephone and do a further noise test before i call anyone out.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 94

Go to solution
you should not be charged for a visit but yes trying a wired phone and ensuring the line still has a noise issue will help even further
0 Ratings
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 19 of 94

Go to solution

Okay great. Have just ordered a cheap and cheerful wired phone so will post back with the results later next week. Thanks for all your help so far jollly and john ;-).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 94

Go to solution
ok post back when you can there is always someone around to help
0 Ratings