Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 1 of 94

Very Slow Broadband Speed & Dropping Out

Go to solution

I've just moved into a property where i transferred my BT broadband but its painfully slow and cant seem to keep a connection for 24 hours as it drops out every few hours. The previous owners had BT broadband so its not like this is a new line and the wiring looks fairly recent ~last 10 years so its not a bad connection from what i can see. Most of the time i receive around 2mbps but this can drop quite frequently to below 1mpbs which is just not acceptable. Its been up and down since i moved in which i assume is the exchange trying to profile us but with it dropping out every few hours i'm wondering if something else is at play here? Every other property i have moved into has more a less stabilised in the first 3 days but this is clearly not the case here. Earlier in the week i was receiving 5mbps download which was fantastic but that didnt last long at all.

Test results are below:

(124555.430000) DSL noise margin: 28.00 dB upstream, 10.30 dB downstream

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.37 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.5 Mbps

0 Ratings
93 REPLIES 93
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 94

Re: Very Slow Broadband Speed & Dropping Out

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 3 of 94

Go to solution
11:29:14, 21 Jun.(124555.430000) DSL noise margin: 28.00 dB upstream, 10.30 dB downstream
11:29:14, 21 Jun.(124555.360000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 94

Go to solution
are you connected to the test socket ?
have you tried the quiet line test ?
can you post the results of the further diagnostics section of the BT speedtest
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 94

Go to solution

Your line was reset this morning was tgat a manual reset or router dropping connection. Your profile should recover automatically given a stable connection 24/7 for 3/5 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 6 of 94

Go to solution

I dont know what tgat is but my router hasnt flashed amber or dropped out in 24hours so what ever it was doing seems to have stopped. Hopefully this is a sign that its stabilising and i'll have decent speed soon.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 94

Go to solution

@drkdeath5000 wrote:
11:29:14, 21 Jun. (124555.430000) DSL noise margin: 28.00 dB upstream, 10.30 dB downstream
11:29:14, 21 Jun. (124555.360000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream

as you can see from the stats you posted the router reset at 11.29 on 21 jun.  it may have been very short and unless you were watching at that precise moment you would never know - but logs show reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 94

Go to solution

what about connecting to test socket especially if you have other sockets in your home

did you try quiet line test?

0 Ratings
drkdeath5000
Contributor
Message 9 of 94

Go to solution

I did try the test socket on the friday but didnt see any improvements.

The quite line test produces audible noise but i figured this was normal as we are still being profiled by the exchange?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 94

Go to solution

any line noise is bad for your internet. if you used the test socket with a new filter and still hear noise hiss/crackle then you need to report a phone fault to 151.  get rid of the noise and broadband will improve