cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy235
Contributor
Message 1 of 73

Very Slow Broadband

I hope some of you could give me advice concerning my broadband connection.

I have been suffering from very slow speeds for about 17 days, and my internet connection has been unusable in the evenings.

For the last few years i have been getting the full speed (8Mb)  but since this problem started i have been getting about 1120kbps early in the morning, and about 22-55kbps all evening.

I contacted the help line in India on 23 Nov, and after the usual checks could find no obvious problem, and was told to log my speed over a few days.   It has been the same for 17 days now.

They sent out a Openreach engineer yesterday afternoon, and after changing a card at the exchange, and testing my line he came to the conclusion that the problem lies not between "me and Aberystwyth exchange" but between "Aberystwyth exchange and Birmingham".

I have been told that it is a "Hot pipe issue" and i need to be moved onto a different MUX, as the one i am on is overloaded.

BT in India telphoned me at lunch time and told me that they dont think it can be done, and the guy i talked to said that the only way to get my speed back would be for him to give me my MAC code, and for me to find another ISP.

Surely that can't be the only way.

I have been with BT broadband from the start, and i was told that i was the first domestic install in the town.

I don't want to leave.

Please help.

0 Ratings
72 REPLIES 72
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 73

Re: Very Slow Broadband

welcome to the forum

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 73

Hi that advise given by the help line is total rubbish
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 73

Hi andy235,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you email us your details so we can look into this for you? You can get our "Contact us" link by clicking on my username, it'll be under "About me" (top-left of the profile page).

Cheers,

Stephanie
andy235
Contributor
Message 5 of 73

The router stats are..

Line Rate  8128 Down   448 Up

Noise Margin  6.7db Down 27.0db Up

Line Attentuation  28.0db Down  16.5db Up

Output Power  19.8dBm Down  12.1dBm Up

I am plugged into the test socket on the NTE5 master socket, with nothing else plugged in.

The engineer could not find any fault with my pc, router, or the connection to the exchange.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 73

andy 235

can you please contact Stephanie the forum mod who has already posted here this is a link if you have not found it http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
0 Ratings
andy235
Contributor
Message 7 of 73

I am having problems with filling in the email page that Stephanie sent.

It says that my account number is not valid.

I have now checked the last three bills, and the number is correct.

I think that it has been sent now, but surfing this forum is very slow.

I have to refresh the page many times to get all the posts to load.

0 Ratings
andy235
Contributor
Message 8 of 73

Latest speed test result

Download speedachieved during the test was - 128 Kbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 73

your download speed is below the acceptable limit but Stephanie will help sort it out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 73

try ab12345678 that  should  work   if your  mail  was sucessful you woud have had a ref number sent back to you straight away 

0 Ratings