Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaysteadman
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Very Slow Speed .

Hi 

I was hoping someone might help us . Our internet speed has gone quite slow over the last 3 weeks . We did have an engineer out a fortnight ago but unfortunately the speed did'nt pick up again . I have phoned the helpline and they have sent out a new BT home hub 4 router which we recived yesterday . Our speed though appears to have gone even slower . Any help or advice  would be really appreciated . thanks .

speed test .jpgbtwholesale.jpgspped cabinet.jpgbthub.jpg

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Very Slow Speed .

are you having problems maintaining connection - router resetting or manual resets trying to get speed back or both?  you are currently in banded profile which should release provided you can maintain a stable connection 24/7 for 5/7 days maybe sooner

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with a corded phone

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/broadband-terminology-guide/?supportarchive

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
jaysteadman
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

thanks for your reply 

Yes I would say our main problem is the router restting and then on advice from bt help line which was to  manualy reset the router .

I had'nt come across ' banded profiles ' before . I did some more reading on the forum . Am I right in thinking that due to the line being unstable - That the DLM starts and attempts to stablize the line by in effect slowing the speed . And that when the router resets or we manulaly reset the router  the effect is that more DLM occurs ?.

Yes we did do a quiet line test and it was okay  and we also did a test using the test socket and a filter and the results were the same .

Hopefully the connection will be start to be more stable and the speed will increase .

thanks for your help .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

the banding will continue unless you can get a stable connection 24/7 and it will start to release in 5/7 days provided no drops or resets.

maybe you should have left it connected to the test socket with a filter to see if that gives a stable connection  as banded there would be no speed change when connecting to test socket but hopefuly better stable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 15

Hi @jaysteadman,

I'll be able to take a look at your connection. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
jaysteadman
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

sorry for the late reply , unfortunately the speed went so slow I was unable to access the forum until now . 

A outreach engineer came out today as a further fault was found on the line which was repaired . I hope the line will improve over the next couple of days .

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
jaysteadman
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Thanks for your kind offer of help , unforunately the speed did not improve and as a result I was unable to access the internet properly .

I have sent you my details . Thanks again .

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Hi Jaysteadman

Thanks for taking my call a few days ago.

Are you happy with the speeds since the engineer visit?

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
jaysteadman
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Hi Stuart 

At first the speed seemed to increase ( the engineers came on friday ) on Saturday the download speed reached 8mbps ,which was really good .

Unfortunately on Sunday and today the speed went down to 1.62 mbps . 

I did notice today that the line again appeared to have some ' noise ' on it .

I would love to know what is causing the speed to decrease again .

Thanks .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

If you try quiet line test and you can hear line noise then that will certainly affect your connection speed