cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
watsonjs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 35

Very slow broadband/high noise margin since activation - how to reduce noise margin?

Go to solution

Hi all,

First post, only 11 days into avtivation - grrrrrrrrrr.

With my previous ISP I contantly achieved around 6.0Mbps. Now with BT for 11 days and it has not risen above 0.98Mbps. I have a very high noise margin. I left my connection up for 6 days from Monday 3rd until this morning to allow time for connection to speed up. Still 0.98Mbps. No noise on quiet line test.

Any help would be appreciated. Any MODS who could lower my noise margin? I have been onto the chat support, but they insist on me waiting in for an engineer in a few days time. From everything I have read, reducing the noise margin will sort the problem.

Thanks for any help.

1. Product Name: HomeHub4

2. Serial number:  

3. Firmware version: v0.07.04.01235-BT (Type B) Last updated 30/3/2017

4. Board version: 01B

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:04:54

6. Data Rate: 288 / 1152

7. Maximum Data Rate: 1100 / 5968

8. Noise Margin: 26.0 / 23.1

9. Line Attenuation: 3.5 / 1.0

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 1.0

11. Data sent/received: 2.3 MB / 28.9 MB

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 35

Re: Very slow broadband/high noise margin since activation - how to reduce noise margin?

Go to solution

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. @watsonjs

You are only showing a connection time of four minutes, why is that?

You must not disconnect or restart your home hub for at least 10 days, otherwise you will be stuck on a slow speed.

For an explanation see.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

Do not call the helpdesk, as they only tell you to restart the home hub, which will make the problem worse.

Just leave everything alone.

0 Ratings
watsonjs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 35

Re: Very slow broadband/high noise margin since activation - how to reduce noise margin?

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the 4 minute up time is due to the helpdesk (not that helpful) telling me to reset. The connection had been solid for 6 days prior to that with no increase in speed. I had read somewhere that after 5 days, there should be some improvement. Maybe this was wrong.

I'm getting really annoyed with BT. I had a similar problem when I signed up to Plusnet a few years ago and the problem was fixed while I was still on the phone. Could they have reset my IP profile/reduced the noise margin while I was still on the call?

Anyway, I have an engineer coming out in 3 days. My minimum guaranteed speed was 4Mb, so unfortunately, after the 28 days they have, if things have not improved I'll have to go back to previous ISP with my tail between my legs. Hopefully it'll be sorted before then.

Thanks again.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution

Nothing much a visit will be able to do, but if you are lucky, they may request a profile reset.

If they do, then you must leave things alone afterwards, otherwise the speed will drop again.

Its the same pair of wires you were using with your last ISP, so you need to let BT sort it out, as if you cancel without them agreeing in writing, that they cannot provide the minimum speed, then you will face full cancellation charges.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 35

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe

It looks like the OP is on a fixed speed service looking at his sync speeds 

0 Ratings
watsonjs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution

That would certainly make sense. Speed has been exactly 0.96Mbps every time I test it. This screenshot is from my phone, but same results on BT wholesale checker.

IMG_20170409_125546.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 35

Go to solution

@watsonjs Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting,  please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution
100% fixed rate 1meg service. Mods will sort
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
watsonjs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution

So... the saga continues......

Openreach engineer out today said that Webby is correct, I have been provisioned the BT IP STREAM HOME/OFFICE 1000 profile, capped at 1Mbps.

Engineer spoke to BT retail who said it's a BT Wholesale problem.

Engineer spoke to BT Wholesale who say they cannot change the profile - ISP (BT retail) must do it.

ARGHHH!!!!

Back onto BT retail for another 30 minutes who reset my profile and guess what, still 1Mbps.

I suspect the reset will just put me through the line stabilisation again, rather than changing me from a a 1Mbps profile to the correct 8Mbps profile.

Grrrrr....... Any mods able to help with this or anyone had the same problem successfully resolved? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution
It's an order that needs placed to change the product from a fixed rate 1 meg service to the up to 8meg service.

Have you filled in the contact the mods for as offered by @NeilO
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’