cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimheenan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Very slow broadband speed and random disconnections

I have a problem with my home hub and broadband connection. The download speed is ridiculously low at only 768 kbits per second. I have been running speed tests all week and the speed has been getting gradually slower and slower starting at around 1.4mbits and lowering to between 0.4 and 0.8 mbps.The broadband is also losing connection every so often.

This has been happening for a few weeks now, ever since the broadband and phone lights on my Hub turned orange, then continually flashed orange, went green then went off and then back to orange, flashed orange, then green then off and this cycle repeated until I restarted my Hub. Upon restarting the power light turned solid red and did not change. So I restarted it again. This time it rebooted properly (or so it seems to have). Before this the hub was (still slow) around 2mbps although this was much better than the speed now.

I have a BT home hub version 1.5. I am on Bt Broadband option 3 meaning I should have unlimited broadband. Reason why I am asking for help is I am getting lag when ever I play games on My xbox 360 or browse on my laptop.  Im in scotland, dundee in the DD2 post code area if that matters.

I have not tried plugging directly into the main telephone socket yet but as I have been using BT for well over 4 years and not had as little speed as this Im doubtful its due to interferance.

Any help would be fantastic. I just want to be able to play my **bleep** xbox again 😛

Here is the DSL information. I have recently restarted my Hub (due to the broadband cutting out again). This is why the uptime is so low.

DSL Connection   
Link Information

Uptime:    0 days, 0:29:27
Modulation:    G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    448 / 768
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:    19.28 / 20.58
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:    12.5 / 13.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:    27.5 / 47.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:    23.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):    TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):    0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 1,216
CRC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):    0 / 0
Line Profile:    Interleaved

MWSnap257.png

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Very slow broadband speed and random disconnections

your noise marging is high at 13.5 as normal about 6 suggesting there is noise on your connection.

I would suggest in the first instance that you connect to the master socket or better still the test socket if you have an NTE5 master and see if that helps your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jimheenan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for the quick response, and thank you for clearing up what noise margins are and arent normal.

Unfortunately right now, my hub is at the back of the house and is not connected to the master. I need to connect to my Hub via wire as my xbox doesn't have wireless and my xbox is in the back of the house. However I am planning on buying the new xbox (with built in wifi) very soon and I will be moving the hub into the master socket (well the test socket), so I will wait until that time to test the hub out and I will update you on the results.

Another quick question, I have ordered the broadband accelerator/iplate, when I move my hub to the master socket, will this improve my broadbands stabilty? As I believe that the occasional broadband outages and my resulting restarting of the hub are the cause of the IP profile drop (I believe it used to be around 2000 to 4000).

Again thanks for the quick reply

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

there are good and bad comments on the iplate/accelerator.  If you read some of the post on the forum you can get a similar resuly bt removing the orange bellwire from terminal 3 on all your sockets.  This wire acts like an aerial for noise and is no longer required  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
jimheenan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Quick update: Well, I moved my hub and have plugged it into the master test socket... Couldn't connect at all wirelessly, so I had to phone up the BT helpline, they changed the wireless channel and I got on after that (however the assistant said that my plugging into the socket should not have disabled the wireless.) As for the speed, well, needless to say there is little to no improvement. I cannot post my DSL stats, as I cannot even connect to my home hub via the ip address and the bthomehub.home address as the connection times out.

The speedtester on the other hand is working. Here are those results:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

409 Kbps

0 Kbps500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 409 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4704 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 8.62:28.39:63.06 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

307 Kbps

0 Kbps448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 307 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

I have noticed that the DSL downstream speed has shot up remarkably (by about 4000) since plugging it in to the test socket, but for some reason, the IP profile is still very low, I would have expected it to have went up at least a little but it has remained the same for the past 2 days now should I be concerned with this or give it some more time?

Oh and I have an engineer coming to the house on friday, turns out when my parents were installing the broadband accelerator they inadvertently knocked out the wires to the extensions and now none of the extensions in the house are working so I hope he or she can resolve things with my speed and I will update on Friday evening, and again next Wednesday(after the 5 day period) to see if the IP profile speed has improved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

big improvement to your down speed.  the disconnections when moving the hub has dropped your profile (also due to the low speed you had before the move).  if you stay connected your profile will rise on it's own.

for your wireles channel you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. Then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

enter the hub by 192.168.1.254 into your browser

0 Ratings
jimheenan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Sorry for the massive bump. I thought I would post a little update on whats been happening. Well, the BT technician came, turns out he was only specialized in the telephone side, so all he did was fix my extension wiring by fitting a new master socket with a built in ADSL filter/broadband accelerator and reconnecting the wiring that fell out when we tried to fit the old accelerator.

A few days after he left, again we encountered random disconnections, incredibly low speeds and pings (at one point, 512ms ping to a server in aberdeen (100 miles or so from where I stay(dundee)) with a speed of 0.2 Mbits/s) . And as usual we encountered frequent messages stating we were connected to the hub but with "local or limited connectivity".

So after another (more like several) phone call to BT, seeing that we have had so many problems with this hub, they sent out a new homehub 2.0. It arrived today, and low and behold already our internet is cutting out and losing speed occasionally, the speeds can drop as low as 0.3 mbits/s despite the hub stating it can handle a downstream of 4000+ Kbits/s. For a few hours I had a consistant speed of 3+ Mbits/s.

One thing I have noticed is that in both the old and the new hub, our average S/N is (im guessing) around 13.5Db, but during these broadband outages it drops right down to a range between 3 and 5Db.

Does this suggest a fault with my line, the exchange or is this just the new hub testing to see how fast it can go.

Please help.

Current ADSL stats just after a sudden speed decrease. (downstream states otherwise but I was hitting speeds close to this earlier, but now Im barely managing 1Mbit/s...) 

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line state    Connected
Connection time    0 days, 07:47:21
Downstream    4,672 Kbps
Upstream    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Modulation    G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)    4.6 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    47.3 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    7.2 dBm / 1.8 dBm

Thought I'd show this to

Any help or advice on what I should do next would be great. Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

can you post the rest of the adsl stats may have to 'show detail'  can you also run btspeedtester and post the results

0 Ratings
jimheenan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Sure thing:

Speed tester suprisingly good. (speedtest.com is saying otherwise 😛 but it is rising)

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

2225 Kbps

0 Kbps4000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2225 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1200-4000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4672 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 18.82:26.99:54.22 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

365 Kbps

0 Kbps448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 365 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

Connection Information
Line state    Connected
Connection time    0 days, 08:00:43
Downstream    4,672 Kbps
Upstream    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Modulation    G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)    4.7 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    47.3 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    7.2 dBm / 1.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    3730 / 321
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    62240 / 390
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    404584 / 380
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)    3224 / 332

Cant thank you enough for trying to help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

stats are looking better than before but more important is your profile is now 2500 instead of the previous 500.  profile should still rise to 4000 if you can remain connected 24/7 for 3/5 days maybe sooner

0 Ratings