cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Renegade_Pirate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Very slow broadband speed !

For the past few weeks we've had broadband speeds so slow that it's pratically unusable at times.

A few days after the problem began I renewed/changed my broadband package from 10Gb to unlimited, but this is infact pointless (other than unlimted costs me less per month than a capped rate !) as we couldn't get decent enough speed to downalod 10Gb in a month never mind any other higher cap.

I've ran all the speed/line tests and so on, and at best get 0.67 from the exchange to the hub ! On a few occasions I get 0.38 !!! Even the online broadband checker says that's poor, but the suggestions are all a waste of time (eg try a different filter, use the 'test' port behind the faceplate etc) and nothing has improved the speed.

Speaking to a chap on the phone his suggestions were 'get infinity' (no chance of that in my area for a few years apparently) or wait until BT has finished buying EE and has improved 4G then use 4G instead. I kid you not, that was a genuine suggestion !

The only other solution was wait a few days to see if it settles down. SETTLES DOWN ????? That's a joke. It's been unusable for weeks and I should do nothing but wait 3 days for it to settle down ? As a matter of fact, that's why I'm writing this, as many days later, it still hasn't "settled down".

If I honestly thought I would get faster speeds from another company I would ditch BT in a heartbeat and go elsewhere, but despite not living in the middle of nowhere, no other company can offer anything better.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 23

Re: Very slow broadband speed !

Hi

Sorry to hear that your having issues with your BT Retail services.

You will either be on the ADSLMax (upto 8mbps) service or if your exchange has been BTw 21cn upgraded you maybe on the ADSL2/2+ (upto 12/20mbps) service depending on your line quality and length.

However these upto speeds may not be the speeds you will get as ADSL broadband connections are very dependent on the distance from your property to the exchange and the quality of your line. The further away you are from your local exchange the slower your broadband speed will be.
To enable the community to help you please see the advice below: Please see Keith's help guide here: Helping forum members to help you, it will guide you through sone steps.

Please can you do the following:

2) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtest.btwholesale.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, Ethernet, connection] After Quick Test is done you need to click "Further Diagnostics" to get IP Profile.

3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 ,called quite line test, from landline phone. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

4) please post adsl line statistics

5) Please can you copy and paste the information for you line from http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl (make sure you edit out your landline number before posting though)

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:
1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home
2) click Settings
3) Click Advanced Settings
4) Click Broadband
5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)
adslconnection.png
The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 1.3)
or http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9118 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 94.1.11)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

If you have a HomeHub 4 then the majority of the ADSL Stats shown in the previous Hubs will not be there.
for HH4 users you can go to hub manager then select troubleshooting then logs and are look for 2 entries together which will show theconnection speed and noise margin for when your HH4 last sycned with the exchange.

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

Don't have a BT Homehub/Voyager?
http://192.168.0.1 for a netgear router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, connection speed
http://192.168.2.1 for a belkin router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, Data Rate

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Renegade_Pirate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

thanks. I've done all the tests before, but will do them again and post the results. may be a day or two before I can do so. thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

just post when you can as forum members cannot help without some basic information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Renegade_Pirate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

I have to borrow a laptop with ethernet (all my home devices are wireless) to do the testing, then bring the results back into work to post, as the home speeds are too slow ! I'll get it done ASAP. Cheers!

0 Ratings
Renegade_Pirate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

2) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtest.btwholesale.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, Ethernet, connection] After Quick Test is done you need to click "Further Diagnostics" to get IP Profile.

Best Effort Test:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.6Mbps

For your connection the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4Mbps - 1Mbps

IP Profile for your line is - 0.62Mbps

Upstream TEst:

Upload speed achieved during the test was 0.38Mbps

Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line in 0.45Mbps

0 Ratings
Renegade_Pirate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 ,called quite line test, from landline phone. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

NO noise on line

0 Ratings
Renegade_Pirate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

ADSL Line Status - before power cycling the Home Hub

Connection information

Line state: Connected

Connection time:  6 days, 23:06:41

Downstream: 705Kbps

Upstream: 448Kbps

ADSL settings

Connection
VPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA 

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type: Fast 

Noise margin (Down/Up):  7.0 dB / 15.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 57.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 12.9 dBm / 12.8 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):  0 / 6

CRC Events (Down/Up): 81271 / 154

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):  0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0 

HEC Errors (Down/Up): 12406 / 72

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):  0 / 0

0 Ratings
Renegade_Pirate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

ADSL Line Status - after power cycling the Home HUb

Connection information
Line state: Connected 

Connection time: 0 day, 00:01:55

Downstream: 704 Kbps

Upstream: 448 Kbps 

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38 

Type: PPPoA 

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type: Fast 

Noise margin (Down/Up):  6.5 dB / 15.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):  57.5 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 12.5 dBm / 12.8 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):   0 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up):  0 / 0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):  0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):  0

HEC Errors (Down/Up):  0 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 

0 Ratings
Renegade_Pirate
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number XXXXXXXXXXX on Exchange DALKEITH is served by Cabinet 49

• WBC ADSL 2+     :  Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Up to 2      Downstream Range (Mbps) 1 to 3 
  • ADSL Max           :  Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Up to 2      Downstream Range (Mbps) 1 to 3 
  • WBC Fixed Rate   :  Downstream Line Rate (Mbps)   2
  • Fixed Rate           :  Downstream Line Rate (Mbps)   2
  • Other Offerings    :    --
  • Copper Multicast   :   --

0 Ratings