cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 34

Re: Very slow internet - no help from BT about to get legal help.

Hi all again.

Just as i was about to email the Communications Ombudsman a chap from BT called, i think a moderator on here.

Is doing "Something" with the complaint and has asked me to do another speed test. Funny thing is, i did the speed test which came out as an attractive 6.66mb down and 0.485 up. Then just for a giggle i did it again about an hour later and BAM 2mb down and 0.00 (Yes nothing) up.

I wonder which one they will look at.

The chap on the phone was very nice and sounded sincere, so i am glad that someone is looking at the issue.

Not happy that it took over 7 minutes for this page to load up though.

So again - 

All wifi off on the router, Ethernet tested the speed got whats stated above.

Then - wifi back on on the router, but turned all other devices off in my house, no phones connected, no TVs on, no ipads or tablets / laptops on - Guess what, 7 (Seven) devices were connected to my router via wifi - Me thinks that the BT FON is allowing people onto my router, and after a little chat with the neighbors they were a little disappointed that there son wasnt able to connect to the internet - even though there broadband was on and working.......

So- Anyone able to turn the FON aspect of the router OFF??  This might be a big issue and be slowing my speed and upload.

Oh David - 151 have been made aware of the noise issue from the second time i called to complain about the broadband (Several months ago) and i have a test or something completed and nothing found.

You have offered to help, if you were the chap who called earlier today then yes you are helping, but its taken BT so long to sort this out and its still not sorted. thanks for helping tho.

17070 #2 test just now as i type shows - No HUMM but crackles.

Thanks.

Mitch

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 34

Hi - 

Just posted a reply to the previous text.

Tested again and the line has a small HUMM and less crackles.

It seems as though it chanegs all the time.

Mitch

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 34

Until you get the line noise resolved your broadband will not improve
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 34

FON will not affect your speed at all as you always have priority over your connection also unless some one is out side your front door you are very unlikely to have any one connect your FON connection
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 34

Just leave everything to the mods they are very good and will stay with you until the problem is fully resolved
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 34

Hi @lisamitch50 and thanks for posting.

@PaddyB is dealing with this for you and will be calling you later this evening.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 34

Thanks all.

Well after a little digging and testing the FON aspect looks to be part of the issue.
All three children on one side of my house and one adult in the house the other side and my friend outside my front door all on BT FON at the same time. Nothe able to complete a speed test.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 34

fon can only be activated if they have your email address and its password
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 34

Hey all.

FIrstly, thanks to the chap who has been trying to sort my issue out - Patric. Thanks in advance, but its not sorted yet.

So after a quick read of some of the comments.

FON is active all the time, anyone who is on BT can join ANY BT FON network, so your neighbours can join your BT FON if it is closer to them than thier own router. Or, you can join someone elses FON if you walk past a house which has BT and FON activated as it connects on your BT credentials.

Have completed several little tests before my BT FON was switched off.

Since it has been switched off, my upload speed went from 0.02KBS (Not Mbs) to sometimes 1mb. However, today (After a call from Patric (Great guy) my internet has been the slowest for over a week. 0.00 upload, and down again to 0.24mb downloads.

I record all my BT Speed  and diagnostic tests, and the last one was poor. (Very Poor), Patric (The chap helping me out) has done a great job getting more speed, but those that know, know that upload is important too, without it you cant send any information or upload a reply to the BT forums (For example - I started to write this at 5pm).

Issue still not sorted as latest speed test was Unobtainable.

If Patric is reading- Ill be free after 6pm for a call about the speeds again if you are able.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 34

Hi @lisamitch50,

Thank you for taking my call, I'm sorry to hear that things have got worse with your connection. I've reported this through to BT Wholesale and they've made a few adjustments to your connection. I'll follow up with you on Thursday to see how your connection is preforming.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings