Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Igor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Very, very slow BB speed

Hello,

[According to initial BT diagnostic fault lies with "BT Network"]

I’ve cut out the “he said/she said” the waiting, the general frustration etc., etc. Current download speed average 15KB/s. Enough just to check emails but very little else.

1st. May BB was very in intermittent and finally ceased (phone crackling but working) - BT Support then put in hand a repair. Couple of days later an engineer rang me and said “all OK and leave if an hour or so” - left in for a day and alas nothing had changed.

5th. May Got onto BT Support and they contacted Openreach who (I was told) informed them to “Close the fault and open a new one” - which was done.

10th. I contacted BT as my BB situation was the same said they’ve “escalated” it and even gave me a name (first name only) who would ring me shortly (no call).

11th. May Fault Fix Rejected and under further investigation.

14th. May as shows as Fault Fix Rejected and under further investigation but with Engineer Visit Complete next to it.

16th. May my BB situation the same. Other than the original engineer’s call (2nd./3rd. May) I’ve had no contact whatsoever from either BT or anyone else.

I managed to get screen shots (after waiting ages for pages to load) of “progress” hence the dates. I wonder if changing my ISP from BT would be an avenue to get a better speed? I realise that it’s still the same “physical line” that another ISP would use BUT I assume they’d need it to work properly before signing me up?

I think it’s the total lack of any attempt to contact me that’s most annoying, I do all the running and while BT Support are sympathetic on my constant contacting them no progress is made.

Any suggestions?!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Very, very slow BB speed

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone  any noise apart from announcement needs to be reported as a phone fault to 151

are you able to post stats from your hub/router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Igor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thank you.

Followed your quiet line test instructions and it was indeed quiet, no hum or buzz etc.

Regret not able to do stats from hub, is it straight forward?

For some reason it says "Aspiring" next to my name, it should be "Beginner" or lower, I can't even find on my settings where to change it.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

which hub version do you have

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Igor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Sorry should have stated it, I did say I was a "Beginner"!

It says - BT Home Hub 4.0A

Currently solid Blue.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Then you need to go to hub logs and look for time when hub last connected to internet and looking for 2 lines together showing connection speed and noise margin

0 Ratings
Igor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Regret I do not know how to find "hub logs". I've tried searching for how to do it but I just kept going round in circles.

I looked through the Hub's "Help" pages and did find this mention - Event Log

Back to Contents Menu location: Troubleshooting | Event Log

The Event Log page shows the last system events recorded on your BT Home Hub.

The information provided in the log currently is targeted at system administrators with advanced knowledge of the BT Home Hub.

BUT there appeared nothing to click on (greyed out) only the Back to Contents.

Thank you.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

this is what you are looking for

the 2 lines will be in logs/wan and like this

18:09:02, 10 Jun. (73034.130000) DSL noise margin: 20.00 dB upstream, 15.20 dB downstream
18:09:02, 10 Jun. (73034.060000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 1920 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
Igor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

As I mentioned above due to my non-techie status:- "Regret I do not know how to find "hub logs". I've tried searching for how to do it but I just kept going round in circles."

Thank you though for your replies but I can't supply the information required as I don't know how to find these Hub Logs you previously mentioned.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

@Igor wrote:

Thank you.

Followed your quiet line test instructions and it was indeed quiet, no hum or buzz etc.

Regret not able to do stats from hub, is it straight forward?

For some reason it says "Aspiring" next to my name, it should be "Beginner" or lower, I can't even find on my settings where to change it.

Cheers.

this link may help you ind your hub stats https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php  

It says aspiring as that is a forum ranking you cannot change it the rankings are automatic  

0 Ratings